Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yesterday, I "discovered" something special and eye opening about forehand Looping.

Its essentially sequencing the body parts during the motion leading to a much more effortless transfer of energy overall better economy of motion.
Yes, and the activation needs to be quickened for quicker shots, such that when the ball comes back very quickly you don't have the time to relax everything fully before they're re-activated.

The BH shot is the same, with the difference being that the ball is always quicker as you're usually hitting it in front of your body, so the opportunity to fully relax is less and you're almost always using a less "complete" activation sequence. However, doing it as much as you can is still essential to generate your own power (speed + spin, if for speed only you don't need it, same as on FH).

As such, I've found that it's essential to try to place the ball a bit to the side of your body if you get the opportunity to blast a shot, which goes for both FH and BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Yes, and the activation needs to be quickened for quicker shots, such that when the ball comes back very quickly you don't have the time to relax everything fully before they're re-activated.

The BH shot is the same, with the difference being that the ball is always quicker as you're usually hitting it in front of your body, so the opportunity to fully relax is less and you're almost always using a less "complete" activation sequence. However, doing it as much as you can is still essential to generate your own power (speed + spin, if for speed only you don't need it, same as on FH).

As such, I've found that it's essential to try to place the ball a bit to the side of your body if you get the opportunity to blast a shot, which goes for both FH and BH.
My problem was that ~60% of the time I would loop "badly", in a linear motion that would be too much effort with non-optimal output of force.

But in faster rallies, even in training drills, where I would have to move to my wide Forehand, re-loop after a 3rd Ball Opening loop or quickly counter loop, I would do it instinctively right.

In Loop-to-Loop exercises, or normal Loop-Block drills where I had time to think and semi-consciously do the technique, I would do it inefficiently.

So my issue was inconsistent technique.

Now that I know about this, I can work on this.

When I first got started with Chinese rubbers, I did this part correctly.
I did most other things wrong, but I had this down ironically 😅 .
With more time and practice, I got more consistent with all other parts of technique, but it led to this linearity and simultaneity of body parts.
Also not getting regular feedback from a trained and experienced coach didnt help.
Most of the feedback I got from others in my club was not helpful and came from people that couldnt do it any better themselves.

Now I am the one getting asked for training and advice ;).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
My problem was that ~60% of the time I would loop "badly", in a linear motion that would be too much effort with non-optimal output of force.

But in faster rallies, even in training drills, where I would have to move to my wide Forehand, re-loop after a 3rd Ball Opening loop or quickly counter loop, I would do it instinctively right.

In Loop-to-Loop exercises, or normal Loop-Block drills where I had time to think and semi-consciously do the technique, I would do it inefficiently.

With more time and practice, I got more consistent with all other parts of technique, but it led to this linearity and simultaneity of body parts.
Also not getting regular feedback from a trained and experienced coach didnt help.
Most of the feedback I got from others in my club was not helpful and came from people that couldnt do it any better themselves.

To me, I feels that you can not create your own power, which is why you are good for fast rallies. Play against a chopper. That is the best way to test whether your technique is fine or not. If you can not get into position, it is your pre-judgement and footwork, not the forehand technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

A lot of people who could do it wouldn't be able to teach it either!

I'm having similar issues, but probably worse than yours as I've only started working on them recently, while still focusing on the BH no less. I think I'm gonna have to readjust my priorities and focus more on FH. I'm trying to work on both the activation sequence, a more right to left rotation, and tucking my elbow to my body during the backswing all at the same time. I think that will require some dedicated training. I've found through my training thus far that while I can loop from FH to FH corner against regular blocks very well, I revert back to my old form when I have to move sideways, and if someone blocks right off the bounce so that the ball comes at me quicker, I have trouble knowing when to shorten the stroke.

My training partner is not available next week, so I'm devising a plan to work with the robot. Starting with balls to my FH with no variation, then varying pace, then varying depth/speed, then two locations, then FH loop from the BH corner, then BH followed by step around FH from the BH corner.

I've always found my FH loop motion to be a bit off compared to well trained players, but not anymore when I can execute my current motion correctly. I'm very happy that I've finally found the most efficient technique, so I'm determined to drill that into my game.

This user has no status.
I went to a tournament last Sunday, and it was the best ever ! tough matches all along. even the 2 players in group phase. in R16, the player was a SP penholder attacking with winners almost any ball, the ball was very knuckle and sinking. but he had trouble against fast pushes to his body. Had to grind every ball.

QF the opponent was perhaps technically the weakest, but he played a very unusual tactic being so afraid of counters: he refused to open the rally and then just blocked waiting for the mistake. it almost worked 6-10 in the decider, but then 12-10 ! the last 2 points he missed his FH attack ! the only time he wanted to attack first in the match... his tactic almost worked

With confidence gained from that, the SF and final were won 3-0 against 2 lefties who eliminated some tough opponents whose style is tough to play

--
of course I wasn't the player. I went only as "manager" of the team to support our team ace, from India, to win the All-Japan veteran 50yo+ tournament ! A very special victory !

Very proud of him, and so happy to have helped him a bit from practical stuff, and to give him a good warmup before the tournament. I feel blessed to have him in our team and to be able to practice regularly and learn so much from him.