Recommendations for a soft controlled BH-Rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
@JJ Ng,

I have just ordered a sheet of Vega Europe DF. FH I plan to use Baracuda. These rubbers will go on to my other 10mm one ply. Will I be a happy lil'lad?
I think so. You have been using Butterfly Flextra. So Vega Europe DF and Baracuda should be faster than Flextra but not too fast. I think you will be happy!

• Love
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
No, it just means that you should have realistic expectations of what a softer rubber will and won't do for you.

The few I mentioned, especially the Rakza 7 Soft and Vega Euro DF, are very popular soft rubbers. They're proven performers in their category, but they're not going to play hugely differently to the three you've already tried.

The fundamental issue for you (as a "fairly new player who is still developing") isn't about one soft-to-medium BH rubber versus another soft-to-medium BH rubber—it's about learning to read and respond to incoming spin, and using a reasonably 'forgiving' setup while you're learning.

Personally, I'd suggest you might be better off with a good quality 5-ply all wood blade for a while. Any of these blades may help your development better than using a carbon blade will, at least for a while:
  • Butterfly Korbel (the European version, not the Japanese version)
  • Xiom Offensive S
  • Neottec Voodoo Classic
  • Donic Persson Powerplay (this isn't, strictly, a 5-ply blade, but it's a good option for you to consider)
  • Yasaka Sweden Extra
  • Tibhar Lebesson
It's not necessarily that your Innerforce Layer ALC is too fast for you (though it might be), it's that the presence of a reinforcing fibre 'mutes' the feedback to your hand and makes it more difficult for you to feel the difference between when you play a good shot and when you play a poor one. Basically, you'll probably learn slower with your Innerforce blade than you will with an all wood blade.
I have the Xiom Offensive S blade listed above, and the Vega Europe DF on my backhand and love the set up. Great touch with this set up and it's not too spin sensitive, but like others mention, it's all about training and practice to neutralise spin

Reactions: Manto76