World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Im sure my reading is ok

It is all linked. zeio wont reference things without linking it. Same style for over a decade.

So lets recap, according to zeio, samsonov was a victim of racism? Correct?
His reasoning is because boll is more popular, and samsonov according to few chinese people is a bigger threat, and because of the chinese (quotes), samsonov should of been more popular and he isnt and it is due to racism, correct?

Even if there was racism (which my memory can’t recall), zeio is trying to brush off aruna claims of it.
It is like saying because there is a victim in 2003, it is fine to have one in 2024.

Better context
Samsonov to aruna: i had racism on me from the west in 2003, so you should accept the same fate.

So what racism did Samsonov faced?
Can wtt explain why they put Singapore Smash to overlap the African Games (they could of easily dodged it), and would WTT overlap Asian or European Games? for reference, this was when Aruna started to call unfairness to Africans.

I personally dont feel racism is the word I would use. But wtt showed no respect to players from Africa, yet they have clear objectives of promoting table tennis in Africa. Maybe its just pr stunts…
Look, you can, of course, exercise the idea why he has suddenly changed the topic and what was on his mind, but unless you are a mind reader all what you wrote hasn't been in zeio's post. Totally legitimate question: why is Samsonov not as celebrated as Boll in the west. I don't see anything else in that post. Period.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Look, you can, of course, exercise the idea why he has suddenly changed the topic and what was on his mind, but unless you are a mind reader all what you wrote hasn't been in zeio's post. Totally legitimate question: why is Samsonov not as celebrated as Boll in the west. I don't see anything else in that post. Period.
Because you haven't been following the discussion. It is a bit much to read in isolation to one post and then pretend that someone who has been involved in the conversation and has exchanged ideas over many posts can't interpret it differently. It is okay to read it differently but arguing over it, not so sure.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Because you haven't been following the discussion. It is a bit much to read in isolation to one post and then pretend that someone who has been involved in the conversation and has exchanged ideas over many posts can't interpret it differently. It is okay to read it differently but arguing over it, not so sure.
I did read the discussion. zeio had suddenly changed the topic completely. One could find it weird, but he doesn't have to continue advocating WTT/its unfairness/"ETTU obligations". Pretty obvious that this Samsonov post has little to do with Aruna, whose issues have a separate thread, btw. Or are you going to chase zeio all over ttd trying to prove him wrong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I did read the discussion. zeio had suddenly changed the topic completely. One could find it weird, but he doesn't have to continue advocating WTT/its unfairness/"ETTU obligations". Pretty obvious that this Samsonov post has little to do with Aruna, whose issues have a separate thread, btw. Or are you going to chase zeio all over ttd trying to prove him wrong?
why don't you ask him if he did, or did not?

there is a common denominator - the word, "racism"
he has been linking Shin's to Aruna too (in terms of event participation).
Anti Aruna-Claims has been his agenda these few days.

both NL and myself has over 10 years experience with the same user. You could ask him if he linked it based on racism.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
why don't you ask him if he did, or did not?
Again, I read what's written and I don't care too much even if it was (not so much) elaborate setup in the way you described it above, tbh.
there is a common denominator - the word, "racism"
The word "racism" obviously bears no meaning here: Samsonov's look would be considered more or less local in any European country.
he has been linking Shin's to Aruna too (in terms of event participation).
Anti Aruna-Claims has been his agenda these few days.
Was it in one post directly comparing the two, was it straightforward from the context?

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Speaking of racism (since Aruna brings it up, why not?), has Samsonov been subjected to it just because he is from Belarus? Despite being a 3-time World Cup holder (1999, 2001, 2009) and the former oldest player to win at 33 before ML at 35, WTTC 1997 runner-up, 3-time ETTC Champion (1998, 2003, 2005), European Games 2015 silver medalist, Rio 2016 4th place (for reference), why is Boll much more celebrated in the West?
But who's gonna celebrate Samsonov? "The last European dictatorship"? With a tiny broke national association and no political influence? Germany? Belgium? Why would they do so, when they have their national players? There's no European nation, and even if EU were one, he's not even from EU.

This user has no status.
It's because he was always second fiddle. He played mostly second fiddle to Waldner and Schalger in the late 90s early 00s and then second fiddle to Boll for the remainder of his career. It's just unlucky.

The same will happen with Fan Zhendong, mark my words. Despite having similar and actually better accolades than Wang LiQin (more total WT titles and same number of WTTC golds) he will be remembered less highly because in the first half of his career he played second fiddle to Ma Long and in the second half he will be overtaken by the new talent, and so for him unless he completes a grandslam he will be thought of as secondary overall. Whereas LiQin despite not winning it on the big time as he was considered the overall no.1 a lot of the time.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Below is the discussion over at Tieba on the online poll done by mytischtennis.de. The general consensus is that Ovtcharov has been subjected to systemic racism by many German fans because he was born in Ukraine during the Soviet era, so technically a Russian by birth.

如何评价:德媒投票波邱奥弗谁将无缘巴黎奥运 奥恰高票数当选 (How to evaluate: German poll on who, among Boll, Qiu, Ovtcharov, and Franziska, will miss the Paris Olympics and Ovtcharov was elected with high votes)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8971641927

Needless to say, turboblock (and some others) has a problem with Rosskopf's lineup.
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3608916&postcount=4773
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3610182&postcount=4780
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3610460&postcount=4786
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3611671&postcount=4805
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3611761&postcount=4814
https://forum.tt-news.de/showpost.php?p=3612009&postcount=4821
Haha, yes. Needless to say Turboblock has a problem. He's the poster I meant.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
But who's gonna celebrate Samsonov? "The last European dictatorship"? With a tiny broke national association and no political influence? Germany? Belgium? Why would they do so, when they have their national players? There's no European nation, and even if EU were one, he's not even from EU.
lets remove Belarus out of the equation.
since in the older days, country wasn't a bit thing (it was players vs players mostly, or rather everyone, trying to compete against the swedes and chinese)

1) when last did Tibhar have a male super star celebrity?

2) if Butterfly had made Samsonov their poster boy and Timo Boll went with Tibhar, would you think Samsonov would have more value than Timo?

One can't deny the marketing powers of Butterfly.

Reactions: vvk1 and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
lets remove Belarus out of the equation.
since in the older days, country wasn't a bit thing (it was players vs players mostly, or rather everyone, trying to compete against the swedes and chinese)
It's actually the only important thing. You can't remove the nationality from the equation, it's the whole point. I know for a fact that if not the financial pressure and immigrant's struggles Samsonov could've become much, much more than he is now.
1) when last did Tibhar have a male super star celebrity?

2) if Butterfly had made Samsonov their poster boy and Timo Boll went with Tibhar, would you think Samsonov would have more value than Timo?
Butterfly targets German market with German stars, it looks pretty obvious to me.
One can't deny the marketing powers of Butterfly.
I don't get it. Butterfly uses stars' achievements for marketing, rather than stars win due to butterfly marketing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Timo Boll plays now and at a fairly high level, so now he is more popular than Samsonov. The popularity of players in the past will vary greatly from country to country and times in which these players achieved success. This question is as empty as a empty egg and is not worth the words spent on it.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well, there is a recent Tieba thread (started on 2024/4/2) on MLin not winning WTTC once and naturally the scope extended beyond WTTC to include WLQ, WH and others in Olympics and World Cup. And guess what? Among foreign players, Samsonov's name was mentioned the most, whereas Boll? NONE.

It's not just mainland China. Folks in Taiwan also looked back on and compared Samsonov's career to that of Boll in 2016. The general consensus is that Samsonov is slightly higher, or not any lower than Boll in achievements, with one user that thought Boll was higher not knowing that Samsonov was WR1 in the late 90s.

Basically, Samsonov and Boll go hand in hand in discussion in East Asia, but that's hardly seen in the West.

马琳参加了九次世锦赛居然都没夺冠 (MLin didn't win once after attending WTTC 9 times)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8963246057

[問題] 薩姆索諾夫的成就? (Samsonov's accomplishment?)
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1454310401.A.386.html
Re: [問題] 薩姆索諾夫的成就?
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1454474688.A.3CA.html

萨姆索诺夫:与中国6代球员对抗 悉尼奥运最痛惜 (Samsonov: Up against 6 generations of CNT players | Sydney 2000 most regrettable)
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-08-05/11097279661.shtml

Last edited: