The Dark Side is getting more and more tempting...

This user has no status.
  • With an ol'skool non-tensor European grippy and non-tacky rubber on my BH ( old semi worn out Joola Zack ), I went trotting along down to my regular club for my usual TT fix yesterday.
  • Surprise oh surprise! I managed to win a set each from three different old timers that we started the game from zero-zero, that is, no handicap points given.
  • I still lose to these old-timers in a match as a whole, but to win sets off them is a significant advancement for me.
  • I even won a set off an old uncle ( in his 70's ) who uses C-Pen with SP / LP twiddling style ( we started at nil all ) so it is a significant victory for me, although I still lost the match. I am happy with this result too. ===========================================
  • So what has changed?
  • With a non-tensor on my BH, there is a more linear play for me, hence better control. The ball does not shoot out like a bullet that fly here and there.
  • I can be more Laizes-faire aka nonchalantly and gently return the ball with my BH and wait for the next opportunity for my nuke-like FH.
  • With a regular tensor rubber one needs to precisely brush to ball to get the Magnus Effect to get the typical arc for modern offensive TT playstyle, even for the BH side. Like me, who does not have the best of BH, the tensor effect can have an unwanted side-effects of tensor.
  • I am now wondering if this ol'skool non-tensor rubber the holy-grail that I am looking for?=================================================
  • On the FH side, I love the massive-massive trampoline effect of tensor. I love it & I have no issue with it. It compliment for FH very much.
  • Give me tensor or give me death!!!
Yes, that works too. In fact if you use really old worn sheets of rubber they can behave like anti lol...

If you're not looping with massive topspin with a strong BH, the modern tensors are indeed a liability imo.

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Yes, that works too. In fact if you use really old worn sheets of rubber they can behave like anti lol...

If you're not looping with massive topspin with a strong BH, the modern tensors are indeed a liability imo.
Just curious; are there still non-tensor Euro non tacky rubber around?

I checked with my usual vendor, non carry Joola Zack anymore.

Other than the usual suspect of Mark V, Sriver, any more?

Mar 2021
Apart from that, it is amazing to watch you transitioning to the more spin oriented play, the new Gozo (TM) play...
For you my friend,

Gozo's baby-step towards more spin less hitting...

my favourite: Pivot & Attack

Last edited:
Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Just curious; are there still non-tensor Euro non tacky rubber around?

I checked with my usual vendor, non carry Joola Zack anymore.

Yes, there are, although you can literally count them on one hand...or two...

- Xiom Musa
- Tibhar Volcano+
- Andro Good
- Andro Shifter and Shifter Powersponge
- Joola Samba

They are all Euro, i.e. ESN-made and non-tensors.

The Joola Zack is still available - at least in the german Joola shop.
Similar rubbers, but "Made in China", would be the Joola Vizon, Joola Micron (slightly "tacky" though!), Pimplepark Epos, Neottec Hinomi S and M, as well as the Spinlord Marder and Tiger series, but not the Irbis (it has built-in-speed-glue effect).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Then dark side has taken over most players at one of the clubs in my city. They were frustrated with their backhand and lack of ability to return serve. One day, a sith came to teach them about the dark side. The temptation for power was just too much them I think.
Alas, I still have them in my pocket all the same. The master tho was able to to hold for a while but I was inevitable🤪

Last edited:
says [IMG]
After 35+ years playing with inverted , I got kind of bored of playing the same style over and over again. Since 2 weeks I'm trying out short pips on my BH. I dare to say my BH is above average and I still play offensive, but with SP it's....different. Totally different technique but also different tactics. Feel that I needed this change to bring me a new challenge in the sport.

Using Spinfire at the moment, as these SP are more or less a "transition" kind of SP and coming from inverted, Spinfire is fairly easy to play with/adjust to. On the contrary, there is not much disruptiveness for the opponent as well. I might try out some more disruptive SP later.

Not sure if I stick with SP, but for now it's the distraction/change I needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
I think your problem is not unusual, most people love to attack but the best attacking rubber generally isn't the best rubber when it comes to returning serve. A couple of months ago I purchased 2 sheets of DHS hurricane 3 NEO just to see what all the fuss was about. I originally wasn't that impressed with them, but as time goes on I am beginning to realize how good they are. I have found the short game and returning serve is really good and I can still attack without any trouble. They are not boosted so they are slower than other rubbers I have been using but blocking and return of serve are much easier as a result and the attack doesn't seem to suffer, definitely worth a try

Reactions: JJ Ng