Under $5 rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
IMG_20240620_204843.jpg

I got these ultra cheap rubbers to play around with. Im not expecting much at all, but at the very least I thought they would be fun to boost up and see if they can react strongly.

Attachments

• IMG_20240620_204843.jpg
    IMG_20240620_204843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
View attachment 30507

I got these ultra cheap rubbers to play around with. Im not expecting much at all, but at the very least I thought they would be fun to boost up and see if they can react strongly.
I don't think that Sanwei Target National is under $5. Pretty all the Aliexpress sellers tack on shipping and import tax. I think that sheet is probably closer to $12-$13 once you add all the expenses in.

That sheet has orange sponge. I did not know. I thought it has blue sponge.

Anyway, I brought the wrong paddle so I have that Sanwei Target National Red orange sponge (boosted) on my forehand and Xiom Vega Japan black on my backhand on a Gambler Vector Speed carbon blade.

The Sanwei Target National orange sponge played fine. Did I miss my H3 provincial blue sponge? Yes. Did I miss my Sanwei Target National blue sponge? Yes.

But it played well enough that I did not miss a beat playing today. For a sheet that costs $12-$13 all in, it is not bad.

For example, Mercury II is probably slightly cheaper and tackier but Mercury II is just soooooo slow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
IMG_20240620_231424.jpg

I glued up the Sanwei Target H40. Its surprisingly bouncy. I thought it would be quite dead, but its moderately reboundy. I think Sanwei might have lowered their tackiness to make the rubbers more accessible. I guess they took a page out of H3 playbook.

Target has a reputation for having low throw angle. Will see how it is next time

View attachment 30508

I glued up the Sanwei Target H40. Its surprisingly bouncy. I thought it would be quite dead, but its moderately reboundy. I think Sanwei might have lowered their tackiness to make the rubbers more accessible. I guess they took a page out of H3 playbook.

Target has a reputation for having low throw angle. Will see how it is next time
Sanwei Target National blue sponge is a lot more tackier than Sanwei Target National orange sponge.

Same ITTF approval number so the top sheet should be the same.

Don't ask me why. That's just the way it is.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Pretty all the Aliexpress sellers tack on shipping and import tax. I think that sheet is probably closer to $12-$13 once you add all the expenses in.
true, you have to buy those cheap rubbers using the "choice -option", where order, or combined orders over NZ$ 16 are fee of postage.
Ergo: 4 times

Table Tennis Rubber HURRICANE-STORM EX-600 2.2MM Durable Ping Pong Rubber incl postage are NZ 21.45 that is probably $ 11 in your dollar.​

Reactions: JJ Ng
says Aging is a killer
I don't think that Sanwei Target National is under $5. Pretty all the Aliexpress sellers tack on shipping and import tax. I think that sheet is probably closer to $12-$13 once you add all the expenses in.

That sheet has orange sponge. I did not know. I thought it has blue sponge.

Anyway, I brought the wrong paddle so I have that Sanwei Target National Red orange sponge (boosted) on my forehand and Xiom Vega Japan black on my backhand on a Gambler Vector Speed carbon blade.

The Sanwei Target National orange sponge played fine. Did I miss my H3 provincial blue sponge? Yes. Did I miss my Sanwei Target National blue sponge? Yes.

But it played well enough that I did not miss a beat playing today. For a sheet that costs $12-$13 all in, it is not bad.

For example, Mercury II is probably slightly cheaper and tackier but Mercury II is just soooooo slow.
"Gambler Vector Speed carbon blade"
What a name ☺️🌩️

Reactions: JJ Ng
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
reactor tornado v5 boosted is rly good on the backhand

never used kokutaku and sanwei target
w.aliexpress.com/item/1005006115062806.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7f7238dadwkUOv&mp=1
Now you have a chance to try Kokutaku for about $ 2.50...... AND you get a green sponge 😁

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
w.aliexpress.com/item/1005006115062806.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7f7238dadwkUOv&mp=1
Now you have a chance to try Kokutaku for about $ 2.50...... AND you get a green sponge 😁

ahh im not ready to part ways with my rakza yet.......

i also need to try out fastarc c-1 and vega asia, kokutaku can wait for me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Sanwei Target National blue sponge is a lot more tackier than Sanwei Target National orange sponge.

Same ITTF approval number so the top sheet should be the same.

Don't ask me why. That's just the way it is.
They can alter the tackiness any way they want to. Just look at the difference between 729 - Battle and 729 - Battle Max Pro. Battle is totally untacky and Battle Max Pro is super tacky, and still have the same ITTF approval number.

Reactions: JJ Ng and lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Battle Max Pro. Battle is totally untacky and Battle Max Pro is super tacky, and still have the same ITTF approval number.
ITTF does not really give shit and could make much more money if they would insist that a new number must be issued when a rubber is altered.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I finally got to test some of these rubbers unboosted. I did the Sanwei Target on fh and tornado v5 on bh.

Sanwei Target - by far it is the best Sanwei rubber i have used. All other Sanwei rubbers have frustrating low throw angle. But this one is actually pretty normal. It didnt feel uncomfortable. The hardness is hard and firm at H40, seems just right. The rebound was pretty good. The reduction in tackiness seems to really help a lot. The speed is more accessible. Finally Sanwei has a good replacement for H3 with this rubber.

Tornado V5 - excellent grip and spin. My loops were really spinny and giving opponent lots of problems. The control and dwell time and spin were all excellent. Hardness felt right for bh. The biggest issue is the rebound was way too low. Blocks and punches were very difficult to execute. So hopefully booster can fix this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I just opened the Kokutaku rubber, and I am a surprised because it is completely different from the description and picture. The description says cake sponge, and the picture shows a cake sponge with large pores. But in reality, this sponge is very much a Chinese sponge, very much like Tornado V5.

Also, the topsheet design is totally different from the photo.

I don't know what any of this means. Does the version of the rubber in the photo actually exist?

Aug 2019
I finally got to test some of these rubbers unboosted. I did the Sanwei Target on fh and tornado v5 on bh.

Sanwei Target - by far it is the best Sanwei rubber i have used. All other Sanwei rubbers have frustrating low throw angle. But this one is actually pretty normal. It didnt feel uncomfortable. The hardness is hard and firm at H40, seems just right. The rebound was pretty good. The reduction in tackiness seems to really help a lot. The speed is more accessible. Finally Sanwei has a good replacement for H3 with this rubber.

Tornado V5 - excellent grip and spin. My loops were really spinny and giving opponent lots of problems. The control and dwell time and spin were all excellent. Hardness felt right for bh. The biggest issue is the rebound was way too low. Blocks and punches were very difficult to execute. So hopefully booster can fix this.
normal seamoon 2 thin layers

Reactions: mattlamperouge
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I boosted 2 layers on the Tornado V5 and it curled with a very strong arc. So hopefully there is a nice catapult effect, we shall see.

While waiting for that, I tried out the Kokutaku rubber on bh. For $3, its quite decent. It's a bit like the Tornado V5. The topsheet is tacky and grippy, but it has a much fuller color and look than the V5. V5 is transparent, but the Kokutaku is not see-through. The Kokutaku sponge is softer than V5, but again it is somewhat slow. Hopefully boosting can fix this rubber. I find that the kokutaku doesn't loop as well as the V5, but it is better for blocks and punching. It is less spin-sensitive than the V5.

Reactions: mattlamperouge
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I put the boosted Tornado V5 back on a blade to test out. After 2 layers of booster, it now indeed has a very healthy catapult. I'm quite confident that this will work very very well as a bh rubber. I originally got this rubber hoping for a dirt-cheap H3 37d alternative. I think this will indeed be a very good option.