Who do you think will win the World Table Tennis Championships 2015?

• Ma Long

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Here's the thing. A few months ago during the transitional period of the new plastic ball, FZD has almost become ML nightmare. But look at how ML comes back with a vengeance. FZD has no chance at all. And Fang Bo surprisingly beat XX and ZJK convincingly. If ML did not show 100% like today, I believe FB can beat him too. It would be interesting to see how FB progress from this time onward. Will be become the new FZD? And will FZD fame eclipse by FB soon? Interesting months ahead in the table tennis scene.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
an observation-after the match,liu actually was smiling. Is that extremely good sportmanship or what?

Could it just be that Liu is a naturally happy person ? She's always smiling when she isn't concentrating fiercely. We could do with a few more like that in the sport !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
And congratulations to Fang Bo. A few months ago he was on a back burner for the CNT. They weren't sending him to International tournaments. But he proved himself in the China Trials and again here in the WTTC. What a great showing.

CNT had already send him to play oversea 3 times this year, only he failed miserably. He was beaten in the second round facing Freitas in Kuwait Open (Feb). Again beaten in the first round vs Shiono in German Open (Mar), both times beaten by non-Chinese which is truly embarrassing. He only managed to win twice in 3 tournaments against players with lower ranking. Surprisingly he play like a totally different player in this WTTC (Apr). Is there something to do with the new Butterfly 40+ balls?

says So many upsets lately
says So many upsets lately
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
The captain has risen!

champ.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
CNT had already send him to play oversea 3 times this year, only he failed miserably. He was beaten in the second round facing Freitas in Kuwait Open (Feb). Again beaten in the first round vs Shiono in German Open (Mar), both times beaten by non-Chinese which is truly embarrassing. He only managed to win twice in 3 tournaments against players with lower ranking. Surprisingly he play like a totally different player in this WTTC (Apr). Is there something to do with the new Butterfly 40+ balls?

Fang Bo was a junior world champ. Maybe that was 2010 or 2011. I can't remember. After that they put him on a back-burner for several years where he played in China but didn't play in International tournaments. I think he beat Yan An in Junior Worlds. But they liked Yan An's play style more and developed him a lot more. Also, when he came up Wang Liqin, Wang Hao and Ma Lin were all still playing. There was not much space on the roster and they felt they did not want to invest in developing his talents.

He still played in China and China Super Leauge but that is not the same in some ways as International play and it is not the same as them really grooming him for the bigger stage.

But this year, when he did well in China Trials they started sending him out to International play. 4 tournaments to get the rust out and get used to performing at the International level is not really that bad. And I am sure that went along with a much different level of training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats to ma long (you da man!), ding ning and the doubles champions.

must say, overall, there were some amazing matches over this last week and some absolutely astonishing points. hats off to all the players, organisers and everyone who made this awesome ... in the end table tennis won :)

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
... although it is a pity that the ittv men's final match video is broken, hopefully some kind person will post a full hd version (bad ittf, bad ittf ... sort you low quality, buggy videos out).
In theory there's an HD version on Eurosport tomorrow at 07:45. In theory.........

This user has no status.
would be helpful if i owned a telly and had acess to eurosport ;) hopefully someone will pop it up on you tube ...

Isn't it already uploaded to youtube? I added it to my download list and i will download it later before i go to sleep so i can have it tomorrow done.

This user has no status.
I think he's referring back to the vocal opinions of many Ma Long supporters that Zhang's titles were lightweight as he didn't play Ma in, or on the way to, those finals. :)

To win the WTTC or the Olympics title, first you have to get to the final. Ma Long did that for the very first time in his career today and there he beat his opponent so congrats to him. He deserved this title and Zhang certainly deserves his titles - all of them without being belittled due to various irrelevant ifs and buts. :)

Totally agree, any player who reaches and wins a major final deserves immense credit and respect.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

OK, here's the breakdown for Japan and Korea in parallell.

World championships singles & doubles (men & women)
Korea, total gold medals: 3

Japan, total gold medals: 30
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Table_Tennis_Championships#Results_of_Indivi dual_Events

World championships teams (men & women)
Korea, total gold medals: 2
Japan, total gold medals: 15
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Table_Tennis_Championships#Results_of_Team_E vents

Olympics (gold, silver, bronze. All classes)
Korea, total medal count (gold, silver, bronze): 18
Japan, total medal count (gold, silver, bronze): 1
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis_at_the_Summer_Olympics

World cup (gold, silver, bronze. All classes)
Korea 23
Japan 9
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_Tennis_World_Cup#Winners

If you want the silver and bronze medals in the World championships, please feel free to look around yourself. I was unfortunately unable to find them.

Combined medal tally since the beginning of table tennis time
Korea: 46
Japan: 55

That seems to indicate that my memory might be slightly better than yours.
However, in the greater scheme of things, that doesn't matter one bit :)

And thank you for the video link. It was really nice to see Kim Ki-taik. He and Hyun Jung-hwa are two of my favourite players of all time :)

Going back to the Japan vs S. Korea topic, Japan got 2 medals at this year's WTTC, while Korea got 1.5 but Korea's extra .5 was a half a gold medal. So which is better: Half a gold, or a silver???