Are the ESN differently colored sponges (green, purple, red etc.) actually meaningfully different?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Are there any differences between the ESN rubber sponges that have different colors?
Or is it really just a different dye that was put in there in the factory.

Is the black sponge from Xiom rubbers really different compared to a green Rasanter Sponge or a normal red sponge from 90% of the others?

Is it just marketing, branding or whatever?

Disregarding Chinese rubbers for this one.

What do you guys know about this?
Do you have any sources?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
It's to celebrate diversity!

IMG_5829.jpeg
IMG_8549.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fnub
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
I don't have any sources but as for me I don't find any difference in feel between for example Bluefire M1 and Xiom Vega Pro. Of course different manufacturers make a bit different sponges(mainly on hardness) but it's not like H3s BS and OS. So I suppose it's just marketing. Like Andro's color is green, Donic's is blue, Joola's is purple but in performance their rubbers with the same hardness are pretty similar

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Are there any differences between the ESN rubber sponges that have different colors?
Or is it really just a different dye that was put in there in the factory.
I believe there are some differences, since brands can customize the sponge specs, and hardness is only one of them.
I have notice, over the years that some sponges are stronger (won't tear) as easily as some other.
So, something in there is different, other than just the dye
Is the black sponge from Xiom rubbers really different compared to a green Rasanter Sponge or a normal red sponge from 90% of the others?
my memory of Andro is many years ago. I recall the black sponge was stronger than the green sponge with similar hardness.
Is it just marketing, branding or whatever?
colour is indeed marketing/branding related.

overall, the maker is an oem in terms of ESN
the product team of each brands will work with the oem to manufacture the desired spec of rubber.
made by ESN, but still designed by these brands. than oppose to ESN just makes everything.

Having use few esn, they don't play the same with each other. So, its not just esn making the same thing and rebranding it with different dyes and different logos.

Reactions: Topspinslinger
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Having use few esn, they don't play the same with each other. So, its not just esn making the same thing and rebranding it with different dyes and different logos.
I agree. I think when the whole Tensor thing started you often wouldn´t be able to tell your brand A rubber from brand B. Over time, the variations became bigger and bigger, so when people say "rubber X from A is rubber Y from B" just because the sponge hardness is identical they might still be right, but chances are they are not, as the variations offered by ESN are many (size of pores, topsheet structure, etc.)

The same goes for so called "generations". A brand might buy an older "recipe" so even if their rubber would be released at the same time as a new recipe from another brand it wouldn´t be the same. They might sell their rubber cheaper, but if it was the hottest thing, why would they?

As for the original question, just think Andro Rasanter R47 and R48 - same hardness of ~47,5, different sponge (one Energy Cell, one not), both green. Colour is just colour :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree. I think when the whole Tensor thing started you often wouldn´t be able to tell your brand A rubber from brand B. Over time, the variations became bigger and bigger, so when people say "rubber X from A is rubber Y from B" just because the sponge hardness is identical they might still be right, but chances are they are not, as the variations offered by ESN are many (size of pores, topsheet structure, etc.)

The same goes for so called "generations". A brand might buy an older "recipe" so even if their rubber would be released at the same time as a new recipe from another brand it wouldn´t be the same. They might sell their rubber cheaper, but if it was the hottest thing, why would they?

As for the original question, just think Andro Rasanter R47 and R48 - same hardness of ~47,5, different sponge (one Energy Cell, one not), both green. Colour is just colour :)
and then you have DHS which has H9-80 and H8-80 which supposedly is the same sponge as per DHS.
I can tell from experience that H9-80 sponge is not as good.
it was so brittle and I was shocked sponges pieces on the table after training.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Oftentimes, variance of the colours indicates variance of hardness.

Again, sponge underlayer of dark colours like black and blue may cause the bright topsheets to fail in the approval test for chromatical standards.

Be happy.

Last edited: