DHS Hurricane Long 5 vs Butterfly Harimoto Innerforce ALC

This user has no status.
Hello.
And yeah, I know that this question has been asked, probably, a good number of times, but I still want to ask it, since I'm not sure which blade should I pick between those two.
For personal reasons I have to give away my Maze Blade (Dad started playing again) so I'm looking for something new and exciting.
Rounded down to those two options. My technique is developed enough to pilot both of these blades comfortly, it's just that I don't have an option to try them.
I was initially going for Butterfly Harimoto Innerforce ALC, but people keep telling me that the blade is just a glorified InnerForce ALC S, and that it feels kinda slow and dead, unless well over 92 grams. At the same time, people were telling me that Long 5 (even commercial one) is a lot faster and more interesting, while retaining good control and dwell. I was considering W968, but heard a piece of advice "Try Long 5, and if you enjoy the feeling - go for W968" and I decided to do just that. I found it strange, considering both blades have the same structure... Or they don't? I found conflicting evidence, and that's what keeping me from making an informed decision.
My playstyle revolves around taking initiative with spin, either with flicks or with strong, spinny topspins and loops. I enjoy blades with dwell time, but I prefer rubbers with harder sponge. I plan to use the same setup I had on Maze, which is Hurricane 3 National Blue Sponge on forehand and Dignics 09C on backhand.
So, with this information in mind, which blade should I go to?

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Many people who writhing opinions on equipment, having almost no clue what their talking about.

A have both - harimoto alc, and commercial long 5.

Harimoto is much more balanced, not so head heavy, and has better forehand backhand transition. In terms of speed it’s even faster than commercial long 5, that is not the fastest blade like at all.

Long 5 commercial handle is pretty small even for regular hands, Harimoto handle a bit thicker - and suits me better.

The power of hl5 is forehand loop and it’s flex, plus it’s pretty slow so can be handled pretty easy. But for backhand it is really weird (tried 09c, dign05, tenergy19) and slow, as i said harimoto alc is just more stable and balanced in all the strokes.

If you are forehand oriented player and into almost alwood numb carbon feel - pick hl5.
If you are more balanced, two wing looping player and seeking for more crisper and lively feel - pick harimoto alc.

Again, I’m taking bout commercial hl5. I’ve heard that w968 is better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
IMO, the person that told you Harimoto ALC is a “glorified InnerForce ALC S” has no idea what they’re saying.

It’s actually not too hard to pick between the two, if you prefer backhand, then Harimoto ALC is better, if you prefer Forehand then HL5 is better. The two blades have the same structure but different composition, also the handle on Butterfly blades are slightly larger.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
My forehand is more destructive. Most of my winners are strong forehand loops, loaded with spin. If I'm playing short, I'll either push close to the net, or do sorta "pancake" flip to start a rally.
My backhand is more of a... Tool, to initiate my attack, or start a rally, to pressure. Banana flicks and loops mixed with flat hits. Although, forehand is a lot more dominant in my play, but I am working to make this more balanced.

I can get Harimoto of any weight (I don't know which weight for Harimoto is better, but usually I prefer lighter blades) and as for Long 5, I have a 88 gramm option. Also, it's leaflet says something is 69%, and the seller tells me that it's very rare for commercial Long 5 to have this much dwell, and that usual numbers are in ranges of 60 to 65. Should I still go for Harimoto, or that particular Long is worth picking?
3.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
My forehand is more destructive. Most of my winners are strong forehand loops, loaded with spin. If I'm playing short, I'll either push close to the net, or do sorta "pancake" flip to start a rally.
My backhand is more of a... Tool, to initiate my attack, or start a rally, to pressure. Banana flicks and loops mixed with flat hits. Although, forehand is a lot more dominant in my play, but I am working to make this more balanced.

I can get Harimoto of any weight (I don't know which weight for Harimoto is better, but usually I prefer lighter blades) and as for Long 5, I have a 88 gramm option. Also, it's leaflet says something is 69%, and the seller tells me that it's very rare for commercial Long 5 to have this much dwell, and that usual numbers are in ranges of 60 to 65. Should I still go for Harimoto, or that particular Long is worth picking?
That seller is sort of right , that 69% is somewhat rare, but not that uncommon, 70% on a commercial long 5 is quite rare though. Anyways that property translates to “rebound speed attenuation”, so the smaller that percentage is, the bouncier the blade. But as one Linus (Sebastian) Tech Tips would say, anything 69 is noice😉

This user has no status.
That seller is sort of right , that 69% is somewhat rare, but not that uncommon, 70% on a commercial long 5 is quite rare though. Anyways that property translates to “rebound speed attenuation”, so the smaller that percentage is, the bouncier the blade. But as one Linus (Sebastian) Tech Tips would say, anything 69 is noice😉
So, should I go for this particular Long 5, or it's better to get a default Harimoto ALC?

This user has no status.
I bought a HALC then sold it - after the initial honeymoon period. Make of that what you will :)
I bought CyberShape and sold it after four training sessions, so I can get what you're saying.
Still, the question remains, what weight would be ideal for Harimoto, and whether it's worth it to get Harimoto, if this Long 5 is on the table

Last edited:
Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
So, should I go for this particular Long 5, or it's better to get a default Harimoto ALC?
History has taught us, no matter what people suggest, the one asking for advice will always wonder “what if I got the other one”. So just get the other one 😆

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
The power of hl5 is forehand loop and it’s flex, plus it’s pretty slow so can be handled pretty easy. But for backhand it is really weird (tried 09c, dign05, tenergy19) and slow, as i said harimoto alc is just more stable and balanced in all the strokes.

I own provincial W968 and have exactly same impression about BH

This user has no status.
I'm actually pretty chill about using people's advice. I mean, I would not be asking this if I had a complete grasp of what each blade could offer me, and then settling on one. I could buy both, try them both, and settle with one, but that would be a waste, would it not?... Therefore I'm here. Also, which is ideal Harimoto ALC weight?

In favor of getting Long 5 is the fact that I have a pretty good blade offered, and my dominant side is forehand. Also (and I may be in the wrong here) I have this weird idea that Long 5 is somewhat of a tasting of what W968 could be, so, should I enjoy Long 5, I could sell it and order W968

In favor of getting Harimoto is the idea that a more balanced blade is better for me to increase by backhand and make me more of a balanced player, instead of forehand-oriented one. I mean, it's taxing on the body, and all. Also, butterfly quality, and, should I fail to enjoy the blade, it would be easy to sell it, I guess.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
In favor of getting Long 5 is the fact that I have a pretty good blade offered, and my dominant side is forehand. Also (and I may be in the wrong here) I have this weird idea that Long 5 is somewhat of a tasting of what W968 could be, so, should I enjoy Long 5, I could sell it and order W968

I tried both and in my opinion its different blades. I mean Long 5 and W968. Also except problem with BH handle is not comfortable. For me handle on Harimoto much more comfortable

Reactions: mihalichtheone
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I own provincial W968 and have exactly same impression about BH
Yeah, I’m not surprised. Even among Chinese reviewers, that are ex provincial players, w968 backhand is considering to be the one, that pretty hard to master, and getting good quality shots in comparison to Viscaria (understandable cuz it’s outer layer) or Ovtcharov alc (similar innerforce construction); for me the same goes to Harimoto backhand as well - it’s just easier to bring the quality

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I would say, just buy the Harimoto ALC, the 69% HL5 isn't that rare, so that's nothing to get hung up on. As for weight, there's no generic optimal weight for everyone, if you're not sure then there are two ways I'd suggest: 1. get the weight that Butterfly advertise it at; 2. measure the weight of your current blade, then do some math to figure out what your next blade should be.

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Hello.
And yeah, I know that this question has been asked, probably, a good number of times, but I still want to ask it, since I'm not sure which blade should I pick between those two.
For personal reasons I have to give away my Maze Blade (Dad started playing again) so I'm looking for something new and exciting.
Rounded down to those two options. My technique is developed enough to pilot both of these blades comfortly, it's just that I don't have an option to try them.
I was initially going for Butterfly Harimoto Innerforce ALC, but people keep telling me that the blade is just a glorified InnerForce ALC S, and that it feels kinda slow and dead, unless well over 92 grams. At the same time, people were telling me that Long 5 (even commercial one) is a lot faster and more interesting, while retaining good control and dwell. I was considering W968, but heard a piece of advice "Try Long 5, and if you enjoy the feeling - go for W968" and I decided to do just that. I found it strange, considering both blades have the same structure... Or they don't? I found conflicting evidence, and that's what keeping me from making an informed decision.
My playstyle revolves around taking initiative with spin, either with flicks or with strong, spinny topspins and loops. I enjoy blades with dwell time, but I prefer rubbers with harder sponge. I plan to use the same setup I had on Maze, which is Hurricane 3 National Blue Sponge on forehand and Dignics 09C on backhand.
this is just too easy: BH lover = Harimoto whereas FH lover = HL5. Problem solved. If unsure, still get Harimoto coz I know with HL5 you'll wanna loop FH all day. Why? I have a HL5 and I recall there is just some magic in it, I suspect is the ergonomic of the handle.

Reactions: blahness
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Hello.
I know a really good player who uses the same rubbers as you do (H3N blue sponge, D09C), and he uses....

Stiga Cybershape Carbon :D

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Long 5 has incredible dwell time for FH loopkills if you pair it with say 09c or boosted Hurricane. But like everyone here, I think BH is the problem. It's just way too soft for BH imo and makes it unnecessarily difficult in high pressure BH-BH topspin rallying.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I know this is predominantly an "equipment forum", and the responses are always going to try and justify 1 percent here and 1 percent there...... But really..... Are you in a strong enough position to utilize the different strengths and weaknesses of each blade (considering how similar they are)?

They are both attacking blades - You'll be able to play identical shots with each of them.

All of this "it's better for the forehand" or "not as good on the backhand" is absolutely rubbish in my opinion.

It depends entirely on the person using the blade! If you have an amazing backhand, using the HL5 will not change that..... It'll still be an amazing backhand.

For *most* levels (especially those who post on this forum), it really comes down to 2 things that are overlooked every time.

1. Which blade do you prefer?

This could be as simple as the handle design/colours/size (with Butterfly handles usually being a little bigger).

It could also come down to which Pro you like more..... If you are a huge Ma Long fan, using his signature blade will bring you happiness only found in fairy tales......

2. Cost/Avaialbilty

If you really have no preference what so ever, go for the cheaper option.

If the cheaper option is hard to find or has a long lead time - Go for the more expensive option if you can afford it.