Effective Footwork Drills for Table Tennis Players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Here are a list of my favourites with a blocking partner, in somewhat increasing order of difficulty:
Side-to-side
  • Wide BH -> Wide FH: requiring a side step in the middle. For added difficulty, one person can hit cross court and the other person hit down the line
  • Elbow (middle) FH -> Wide FH: requiring a side step and practising returning from my elbow
  • Wide BH -> Elbow (middle) FH -> Wide BH -> Wide FH -> Wide BH: practice side stepping different amounts but no pivoting
  • 2/3rds table to random points, all FH: Practice moving and hitting FHs to unknown positions
  • Full table to random points, trying for all FH: If you want to be Ma Long
Pivoting
  • Pivot FH -> BH: practising just pivoting
  • Falkenberg drills (BH, pivot FH, wide FH) or variation: classic
In-out
  • Short FH push -> FH or BH opening loop: either all FH, all BH, or random FH/BH
  • BH flick -> FH or BH counter loop: either all FH, all BH, or random FH/BH
  • Serve receive: attacking random short or long serves
For multiball, I like to do the above drills as well. Sometimes I will ask for all underspin to 'simulate' continually looping against a chopper. Other things I've tried are hitting two balls from each spot e.g. 2x Pivot FH -> 2x BH

Other footwork drills I've heard of and would like to try but haven't tried yet:
  • Chair placed 1m or so off the side of the table. Double side step to touch the chair, then double side step to hit the next ball
  • Ones recommended by PechPong:

Reactions: Fnub