How do you remove the glue from sponge the best?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I removed my glue from 2 rubbers and it was a mess and it clearly reduced its quality when using it on new blade.
the glue was hard to remove without small micro tears happening.

Whats the best way to do this? How do you do it?
Do not use most of european and butterfly glues cause they stick to rubbers like a second skin. Chinese ones are good, like Revolution no3, Dhs no15, Sueke no1 or 2. Additionally, apply several layers of glue to the rubber, if you don’t mind the extra weight. It will make peeling process breeze.

Reactions: kindof99 and Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Do not use most of european and butterfly glues cause they stick to rubbers like a second skin. Chinese ones are good, like Revolution no3, Dhs no15, Sueke no1 or 2. Additionally, apply several layers of glue to the rubber, if you don’t mind the extra weight. It will make peeling process breeze.
would it be ok to apply just 1 layer. use it. take rubber off blade. apply 2 more layers. then detach?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
does this work?: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803007677301.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.599dldqMldqMBg&algo_pvid=599dad26-b0f7-46d9-9b5b-1adfa9db1983&algo_exp_id=599dad26-b0f7-46d9-9b5b-1adfa9db1983-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!6.17!0.49!!!6.17!0.49!@2101d69a17119039911666070e7fc9!12000032583193822!sea!US!101108348!AB&curPageLogUid=5xQydjdA5I3I&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:
id like to avoid sponges. brush seems so much easier.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Link is inactive.
All of glues based on water comes with sponges, cant avoid that. Those with brushes are rubber glues, aka speed glues.
would it be ok to apply just 1 layer. use it. take rubber off blade. apply 2 more layers. then detach?
Yes you can do it. Another option is to leave the glue and do the usual procedure of gluing. I did it several times when I was to lazy to remove the glue till it made 47g rubber to 54g

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Link is inactive.
All of glues based on water comes with sponges, cant avoid that. Those with brushes are rubber glues, aka speed glues.

Yes you can do it. Another option is to leave the glue and do the usual procedure of gluing. I did it several times when I was to lazy to remove the glue till it made 47g rubber to 54g
this link works? says its regular glue, not speedglue:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I removed my glue from 2 rubbers and it was a mess and it clearly reduced its quality when using it on new blade.

You don't remove it. I just put a layer of booster where I take a rubber off. Then apply a layer of glue. After that, I attach the rubber onto a new blade.

Moving a rubber to a new blade to try is the only reason I would need to peel the rubber off.

Trying to take the glue off is just way too time consuming and not worth the time and effort.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
You don't remove it. I just put a layer of booster where I take a rubber off. Then apply a layer of glue. After that, I attach the rubber onto a new blade.

Moving a rubber to a new blade to try is the only reason I would need to peel the rubber off.

Trying to take the glue off is just way too time consuming and not worth the time and effort.
just to make sure i understand you correctly:

1) take off rubber. leave old glue on.
2) put booster, then glue on rubber. (and blade)
3) attach.
right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Probably cant see it cause I am in another country. Sueke is one of the best glues. Most of forum members that tried it can testify that. I use it myself, but have not tried peeling glue yet.
Look what's on AliExpress! SUEKE 260ml Table Tennis Racket Rubber Inorganic Accessories with Sponges for 4 458.75 ₸ - with a discount -10%

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012

You can get a liter of liquid latex for about 10 euros. When the rubbers are not so old, you can then peel off the old glue by adding 2-3 layers of latex onto the sponge, same technique as gluing, layer, dry, etc.

Also, the latex is good for gluing. I say good because it behaves like these better glues that are easy to peel off, like DHS or Revolution, but is not that sticky. So sometimes on lacquered blades, the corners tend to come off, or with light contact with the table. DHS is better at gluing and creating a layer that is elastic and can be taken off easily, but if you reglue often, it would be expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
You can get a liter of liquid latex for about 10 euros. When the rubbers are not so old, you can then peel off the old glue by adding 2-3 layers of latex onto the sponge, same technique as gluing, layer, dry, etc.

Also, the latex is good for gluing. I say good because it behaves like these better glues that are easy to peel off, like DHS or Revolution, but is not that sticky. So sometimes on lacquered blades, the corners tend to come off, or with light contact with the table. DHS is better at gluing and creating a layer that is elastic and can be taken off easily, but if you reglue often, it would be expensive.
dude thats just an epic idea i never thought off myself.
so you even use it to glue your own rackets? to play with?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021

I find using Tearmender as shown in this video the best way to remove old glue and have the sponge be as close as possible to when it was removed from the package

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
"Table Tennis" glues are just variations of latex glue like Tearmender, that are jacked up in price by 5-10X.

To remove old glue from rubber, I do exactly as the video with Tearmender, only I don't bother with a sponge. I spread the glue by finger because it doesn't have to be perfectly even.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
"Table Tennis" glues are just variations of latex glue like Tearmender, that are jacked up in price by 5-10X.

To remove old glue from rubber, I do exactly as the video with Tearmender, only I don't bother with a sponge. I spread the glue by finger because it doesn't have to be perfectly even.
do you use high priced tt glue when using your rubbers?
or tearmender etc?

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
dude thats just an epic idea i never thought off myself.
so you even use it to glue your own rackets? to play with?
Yep, glued a lot with that. With evenly spread layers both on rubbers and blades, it works well. Also glued some for my teammates, and recently there hasn´t been a problem. Only once that came eventually from the blade and we couldn´t reglue it no matter what, but it was a specific case.

I read that Tearmender is also very good, but it is not sold here, so I´ve come across the latex, tried it, and works very well and creates this whole membrane on the rubber. It is more watery than regular glue, so one should be slightly more careful when pouring it from the bottle.

Reactions: jbvttcc and Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Yep, glued a lot with that. With evenly spread layers both on rubbers and blades, it works well. Also glued some for my teammates, and recently there hasn´t been a problem. Only once that came eventually from the blade and we couldn´t reglue it no matter what, but it was a specific case.

I read that Tearmender is also very good, but it is not sold here, so I´ve come across the latex, tried it, and works very well and creates this whole membrane on the rubber. It is more watery than regular glue, so one should be slightly more careful when pouring it from the bottle.
this is good news. ill try it out. thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
just to make sure i understand you correctly:

1) take off rubber. leave old glue on.
2) put booster, then glue on rubber. (and blade)
3) attach.
right?
That is correct.

As for tearmender, I have used that method before. It works very well for DHS orange sponge. It does not work well for Rakza 7 soft, Xiom Vega Europe/Asia/Japan and Revolution series rubber such as MX-S, etc.

Just save yourself some time and energy. Put a layer of booster on it; it will dissolve the glue partially. Leave the old glue on. Put a fresh coat of new glue on. Then stick it on the blade and you are done.

I have done the tearmender method. It is just not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Cadoia