How to clean / restore used blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Hi,

I recently bought a used blade which I like to play with. In principle it is in fine playing shape: No huge dents, varnished. Alas, it looks pretty used overall, especially around the handle and the wings. And I am not a fan of gripping around some other dudes old sweat... 😅

Any tips on making a used blade look nice and new(ish) again?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Just wash the handle with warm water, soap and a sponge and then dry the racket thoroughly. Soap washes away sweat and dirt from hands well.
You can sand with sandpaper only very carefully and not get carried away with this, so as not to remove excess and make the handle too thin.

Reactions: Bruschk0v
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I've read using a pencil eraser will work wonders on dark stains. Haven't tried it myself yet
This works very well on the blade, where you want to remove old glue without ruining the surface. The handle itself becomes soaked with sweat and therefore it is better to wash the handle with soap and water.

Reactions: Bruschk0v
Yes, this is an option, but not everyone likes the tape, and it also adds weight. Heat-shrinkable tubes are especially heavy, weighing up to 4-6 grams.
Butterfly grip tape adds 4 grams, perfect for a blade of ~80 grams, lower the center of gravity as well, can’t be better.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Butterfly grip tape adds 4 grams, perfect for a blade of ~80 grams, lower the center of gravity as well, can’t be better.

Cheers
L-zr
For me this weight is critical. I play rackets with a total weight of 186-189 grams. More than 190 grams is unacceptable for me. A light blade of 80+ grams, even with a high frequency, does not have power for my taste, the optimum is 86-89 grams plus two rubbers with an average of 50 grams each for a total of 186-189 grams. +4 grams does not fit in at all. It is then necessary to use lighter rubber of lower density and, accordingly, hardness. Its also not good because soft rubbers with 40+ balls perform worse.
It would seem that this is a trifle +4 grams, but table tennis is made up of such little things.

For me this weight is critical. I play rackets with a total weight of 186-189 grams. More than 190 grams is unacceptable for me. A light blade of 80+ grams, even with a high frequency, does not have power for my taste, the optimum is 86-89 grams plus two rubbers with an average of 50 grams each for a total of 186-189 grams. +4 grams does not fit in at all. It is then necessary to use lighter rubber of lower density and, accordingly, hardness. Its also not good because soft rubbers with 40+ balls perform worse.
It would seem that this is a trifle +4 grams, but table tennis is made up of such little things.
Well, it’s a weight distribution with the center of gravity towards the head that feels heavy. A few grams in the handle won’t matter. So the center of gravity is far more important than the total weight…

Cheers
L-zr