is it a grip issue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
So I noticed sometimes on rare occasions im doing a simple top spin return on a regular top spin ball like normal and the ball simply just hit down in the table right in front of me instead. Completely different from regular experience. Its like huh? wtf?
Is this because the rubber didnt grip the ball?
And this is a sign rubber is getting old?
I get it that off course it could be wrong stroke and technique etc. but if its done as usual and usually its reacting fine. But over time this happens on occasion and im wondering if this is a particular sign of rubber getting too old?
Or maybe it has nothing to do with grip?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So I noticed sometimes on rare occasions im doing a simple top spin return on a regular top spin ball like normal and the ball simply just hit down in the table right in front of me instead. Completely different from regular experience. Its like huh? wtf?
Is this because the rubber didnt grip the ball?
And this is a sign rubber is getting old?
I get it that off course it could be wrong stroke and technique etc. but if its done as usual and usually its reacting fine. But over time this happens on occasion and im wondering if this is a particular sign of rubber getting too old?
Or maybe it has nothing to do with grip?
Overall if the ball goes into the net, it means that you don’t provide enough up and forward power for it to go over the net. There are many reasons for it. If the ball is dropping already and you try hitting it, it will go into the net.

This user has no status.
Grip issue is most evident with maximal brushing and minimal hitting, which usually happens when looping a half-long ball. Dropping loops can sometimes be a gluing issue, assuming it's not a technique issue.
Yes, often it's due to not putting enough power on the counterspin. Not enough hit.

Reactions: Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
ok I see from the replies its diverse reasons.
I fully agree on lack of technique can be the cause. I can easily feel when its me and not the equipment.
However the wet ball I can relate too. humidity.
Now that I think about it a less grippy rubber should be doing this very often, and its not more frequent than the grippy rubbers. So yes, I think its either technique or wet ball.
I sweat a lot. So much the balls get wet when holding them. I even sweat on the table. on my rubber. I think I need a haedband. armband. and a towel next to me for the hands.
thank you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
ok I see from the replies its diverse reasons.
I fully agree on lack of technique can be the cause. I can easily feel when its me and not the equipment.
However the wet ball I can relate too. humidity.
Now that I think about it a less grippy rubber should be doing this very often, and its not more frequent than the grippy rubbers. So yes, I think its either technique or wet ball.
I sweat a lot. So much the balls get wet when holding them. I even sweat on the table. on my rubber. I think I need a haedband. armband. and a towel next to me for the hands.
thank you

I also thought like that, like @Doum. But I was not sure you'd ask. When that happens there usually is visible wet-mark on the rubber.

Reactions: Cadoia