The German players are ready and raring to go at the 2013 World Table Tennis Championships which kicked off on Monday 13th May, the team prepared for the tournament on home soil however they’re currently in Paris ready to compete. Before the team left Germany for the French capital head Coach Jorg Rosskopf commented on his player’s chances in the championships in an interview with the German federation’s webpage.

rosskoptwttc2013.jpg

Jorg Rosskopt at the London 2012 Olympics - Feng Li/Getty Images Europe

With the German players being some of the biggest threats to the Chinese national team Rosskopf stated that he was happy with the training his players have done in the run up to the championships however he knows that Paris will be no easy task and they will be have to be on top form throughout the tournament.

Rosskopf also commented on his players shape “I am very happy with the player’s preparation for the championships especially in the last session, the players are in good shape with no injuries. I think that our team level is high and I hope that more than one of our players will be able to reach the quarter-finals or even a higher stage, I expect to see some surprises from my players and I hope that Steffen and Patrick Franziska will gain some good wins. My players must go into the tournament knowing they have done everything they can to prepare themselves to play a good world championships”.

The German coach also commented on how the fans chose the team in china “I don’t know why they make such a big deal of it when the players who qualified are the ones the coach wanted. I can’t imagine this happening in our team”.

Rosskopf expressed his view on the Chinese dominance “Olympics are easier than a World Championships and seven players can play in Paris along with many good Asian players. We have the best players in Europe they earned that respect, currently I don’t see any other European player who can beat the Chinese”.

German superstars Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov also commented on their preparation for the tournament and their chances in the World Championships. With Boll not having played in any tournament before the championships, could this be a disadvantage to him, “It wasn’t planned to not play in any tournament before the championships, I felt some pain after London and needed a break in January. I didn’t have any holidays after the WTTTC and the Olympics and then the European championships came, I practically competed throughout the whole year with little time for training and I had to do that in last few weeks and months aswell. It is always hard to play in a tournament if you are not physically well that is why it’s so important to stay in good shape”.

Ovtcharov spoke about his superstitions and expectations of the championships “I am a little superstitious but the important thing is to be able to say I am well prepared and I couldn’t have done it better, Paris will be the first time that I will be in the first eight which is great as it is always important to have a good draw”.

Join in on TableTennisDaily's full World Table Tennis Championships discussion here

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: TableTennisTa & tischtennis.de
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily