WTT Singapore Smash 2023

This user has no status.
Wow what a match by Fan Zhendong proving everyone wrong. He thoroughly decoded all of Ma Long's tricks this time.

But Ma Long didn't use his entire arsenal of tricks - the high toss is missing and so is the hook serves and the killer heavy underspin/no spin serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wow what a match by Fan Zhendong proving everyone wrong. He thoroughly decoded all of Ma Long's tricks this time.

But Ma Long didn't use his entire arsenal of tricks - the high toss is missing and so is the hook serves and the killer heavy underspin/no spin serve.
He did what he felt comfortable doing and I suspect he didn't feel the need to test those since it wasn't the WTTC. But it was clear they both wanted to win really badly and I am not sure those things would have changed the result.

Ma Long is defending zero WTTC points and Fan is defending 2000, maybe more I think. Will be interesting for sure.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
So far I was always very critical of WTT, but the production value and the different camera angles to choose from were very high quality. Props to them for listening

This user has no status.
So far I was always very critical of WTT, but the production value and the different camera angles to choose from were very high quality. Props to them for listening
And we got Adam ;)

Totally agree here with almost everybody. They were both pinning each other into their bh both were afraid of getting the opponents full swings into them. The consistency of both were just on a whole different level. They just proved again that the rest of the world has much homework to do, to get on their level.

In terms of services both havent gone for their reverse sidespin serves. No hook serves from both, neither did fzd any reverse pendulum serves like he did so many times against truls.
But either way it was amazing to see Ma Long getting ahead several times by changing spin, power and placements, just so long as FZD adepted and hit even harder until he overcome Ma Long.

I will definitly watch this match several times more.

EDIT: Just watched again and he did reverse pendulum serves, nvm^^

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I guess FZD held back in the trials match 3 weeks ago.
Did Ma Long do the same today by not showing his tactics for the WTTC in May which has much more prestige?

I don’t say they don’t want to win these matches, especially today’s final. But I think they show less variation in serves and placement in not so prestigious matches. The body language is also different than for example the Tokyo final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
You might be region locked out of those. If I watch Youtube from the USA VPN, you can see the multiple streams from WTT channel. However, if I'm watching from Vietnam internet, I'm region locked to watching some stream from some channel called SpotTVAsia.
Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks for your insight. Luckily I found a random YouTube guy who uploaded the highlights final from behind the players. It was glorious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
They have the monies now to make it happen and enough Chinese corporates with cash to burn

USD 126k packages per person.... While Fan walks away with 100k only (still need to deduct tax + other deductions)

1679216616582-png.24710

Last edited:
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Few months ago, I watched in a few of the WTT Contender series, non-CNT players emerged as champions. I was happy as I welcome diversity. I falsely thought that Non-CNT players are coming up and can pose a real challenge to the CNT dominance in the sport.

This SGP Smash has once again proofed me otherwise. In the semis and finals, it is again the same old same old faces, as though I am looking at China Super-League.

The level of play amongst the semi & finalist are totally out of this world and can't be seen in non-CNT players. It is just not there. Sigh! I'm just gonna me sit in the some corner and browse Joola's Pickle-ball webpage now.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
Few months ago, I watched in a few of the WTT Contender series, non-CNT players emerged as champions. I was happy as I welcome diversity. I falsely thought that Non-CNT players are coming up and can pose a real challenge to the CNT dominance in the sport.

This SGP Smash has once again proofed me otherwise. In the semis and finals, it is again the same old same old faces, as though I am looking at China Super-League.

The level of play amongst the semi & finalist are totally out of this world and can't be seen in non-CNT players. It is just not there. Sigh! I'm just gonna me sit in the some corner and browse Joola's Pickle-ball webpage now.
Not sure if you watched the same competition but there were a huge amount of upsets involving CNT players losing or being close to losing this tournament... Sun Yingsha survived a 7 game scare against Joo Chenhui, Fan Zhendong had a serious challenge from Truls, Chen Meng losing to Elizabeta Samara, Chen Xingtong lost to Han Ying, etc....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023

I agree with you. I really want to see a variety of players fighting for medals, and not the complete dominance of the Chinese team. It seems to me that the problem here lies not only in the degree of training of the players, but also in the inventory. Chinese sticky rubbers create a lot of problems for the opponent, while making the game much easier for the player. I have been surprised for 10 years by the consistent lack of desire of European and Japanese companies to produce sticky rubbers for Top level players, and not Chinese players to play them.

How much time passed before the appearance of Dignics after Tenergy? And all the same, Dignics is not exactly what you need - it always has top rotation when attacking, unlike Hurricane, where it is enough to change the angle before the attack and the ball will fly in completely without rotation! Hence the mistakes of the receiving players. Calderano could have been in contention for the win had it not been for a bunch of rubber mistakes that I wrote about before their meeting. Three goals in one all-important set with Ma Long Hugo missed the racket! Because the ball flew below the racket. It's not Hugo's fault, but the trick of Ma Long and the sticky Hurricane.

One more question, why didn't the players using Dignics reach the semi-finals?

This user has no status.
I agree with you. I really want to see a variety of players fighting for medals, and not the complete dominance of the Chinese team. It seems to me that the problem here lies not only in the degree of training of the players, but also in the inventory. Chinese sticky rubbers create a lot of problems for the opponent, while making the game much easier for the player. I have been surprised for 10 years by the consistent lack of desire of European and Japanese companies to produce sticky rubbers for Top level players, and not Chinese players to play them.

How much time passed before the appearance of Dignics after Tenergy? And all the same, Dignics is not exactly what you need - it always has top rotation when attacking, unlike Hurricane, where it is enough to change the angle before the attack and the ball will fly in completely without rotation! Hence the mistakes of the receiving players. Calderano could have been in contention for the win had it not been for a bunch of rubber mistakes that I wrote about before their meeting. Three goals in one all-important set with Ma Long Hugo missed the racket! Because the ball flew below the racket. It's not Hugo's fault, but the trick of Ma Long and the sticky Hurricane.

man, Fan Zhendong do have Dignics on his backhand.

This user has no status.

You can produce fake loops (loops without much rotation) with Dignics too. I do it with my D05 BH too....

Waldner did it plenty in 2004 Olympics against Timo Boll too with speed glued rubbers that are not tacky....

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023

Pretty sure non-Chinese players could get W968 and Hurricane 3 Nationals if they want to. There are some reports saying Ishikawa and Hayata are using Nittaku Hurricane 3. The H2 blade is also the same composition as Long 5/W968.

I am not sure how much the equipment contributes. If it's such a deciding factor, then we should use Stiga or Xiom rubbers outside of Hurricanes because Truls and Hugo are the best-performing non-Chinese players in Singapore. Forget about Butterfly :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Pretty sure non-Chinese players could get W968 and Hurricane 3 Nationals if they want to. There are some reports saying Ishikawa and Hayata are using Nittaku Hurricane 3. The H2 blade is also the same composition as Long 5/W968.

I am not sure how much the equipment contributes. If it's such a deciding factor, then we should use Stiga or Xiom rubbers outside of Hurricanes because Truls and Hugo are the best-performing non-Chinese players in Singapore. Forget about Butterfly :)
You just said such sedition, I expect an invasion of angry butterfly lovers:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023

At this level, every little thing has an impact, because the higher the level of the game, the more important all these factors are.