Backhand loop on side spin ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I recently learned shove/hook serves. A lot of people return my serves a little high with a lot of sidespin (to my left, I am right handed). The sidespin is so strong that the ball almost goes sideway. How could you loop with backhand more consistently against these returns? Move more to the left?
maybe pivoting to the forehand is a better option?

This user has no status.
This is literally the easiest spin to attack on the BH imo. A trick is that if the ball is curving left you also have to approach the ball going a bit leftward to increase your chances of contacting the ball solidly. Follow the ball with your body. If the ball exits the side you have to cut off the angle with your left leg swiftly, you can't do a good BH loop with your hand too much outside your body triangle.

I would recommend continuing the spin when brushing the ball (ie spin it clockwise). Contact more of the back of the ball, not the left side.

Pivoting against this is quite bad because the sidespin increases the angle so much that you get jammed on the pivot, and then get destroyed by a block down the line to your wide FH. This is why FH dominant players don't like to serve reverse pendulum or hook - this natural sidespin from the BH receive really increases the difficulty of the FH pivot in all ways positionally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I probably tried hitting/looping to the backhand of my opponents often, that is against the income spin. Going with the spin is much easier and more consistent. So I should bend my wrist a little back and target at the forehand of my opponents.

This user has no status.
I probably tried hitting/looping to the backhand of my opponents often, that is against the income spin. Going with the spin is much easier and more consistent. So I should bend my wrist a little back and target at the forehand of my opponents.
No, you misunderstood. If you think in terms of clockwise/anticlockwise it is easier to understand. Against the spin means you're brushing the ball (BH fade) to create anticlockwise spin which is opposite to the incoming spin which is clockwise. What I meant was continuing the spin in a clockwise direction - in this case it'll be the same sidespin as a standard chiquita. With this contact philosophy you should be able to enjoy a high dwell time which will allow you to place it to wherever you want on the table.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
A lot of these returns are actually a little pop up, so I was not thinking about side spin that much. I think the returns are usually with side-back spin. Hitting or looping kill isn’t a good idea

This user has no status.
A lot of these returns are actually a little pop up, so I was not thinking about side spin that much. I think the returns are usually with side-back spin. Hitting or looping kill isn’t a good idea
If it's popped up, just use the chiquita movement to kill it. Doesn't matter what the spin is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This is literally the easiest spin to attack on the BH imo. A trick is that if the ball is curving left you also have to approach the ball going a bit leftward to increase your chances of contacting the ball solidly. Follow the ball with your body. If the ball exits the side you have to cut off the angle with your left leg swiftly, you can't do a good BH loop with your hand too much outside your body triangle.

I would recommend continuing the spin when brushing the ball (ie spin it clockwise). Contact more of the back of the ball, not the left side.

Pivoting against this is quite bad because the sidespin increases the angle so much that you get jammed on the pivot, and then get destroyed by a block down the line to your wide FH. This is why FH dominant players don't like to serve reverse pendulum or hook - this natural sidespin from the BH receive really increases the difficulty of the FH pivot in all ways positionally.
Well said. In the club yesterday I was trying out my reverse spin services. The services themselves went well, but I wasn't used to the returns. At first I kept getting jammed by balls to the body. I would pivot and then find the ball curving toward me and then I'm forced to return with a soft shot. I started pivoting more but I was prone to get blocked to my wide FH, especially when I started focusing on just making the attack and not being prepared for the return. I found it a bit easier to expect to attack the service return with my BH instead.

For the second paragraph, I assume you mean brushing the back of the ball with a bit of a right to left motion, as you would a pendulum service.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
Well said. In the club yesterday I was trying out my reverse spin services. The services themselves went well, but I wasn't used to the returns. At first I kept getting jammed by balls to the body. I would pivot and then find the ball curving toward me and then I'm forced to return with a soft shot. I started pivoting more but I was prone to get blocked to my wide FH, especially when I started focusing on just making the attack and not being prepared for the return. I found it a bit easier to expect to attack the service return with my BH instead.

For the second paragraph, I assume you mean brushing the back of the ball with a bit of a right to left motion, as you would a pendulum service.
Yes that is correct, but your racket is still brushing clockwise around the ball like your normal stroke. I like to think of it like receiving serves. So, the spin from BH natural push receive of your hook/reverse pendulum serves = spin from opponent's FH pendulum serve. FH natural push receive of your FH pendulum = spin from opponent's hook/reverse pendulum serve.

Unless they do anything more complex then the receive might be different.

LPs complicate this because it's now the opposite sidespin.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
Actually, writing this out helped me realise that I'm not looping receives of my hook serve directed to my FH side correctly. I've been looping them as if it's curving outwards, but in reality those are curving inwards, I need to approach them like I'm looping a FH pendulum serve, ie need to open my wrist a bit more to expose more of the blade face to the ball.