Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
one last post regarding the emoji's

WTT choose to remove it,
they removed from Philippines and Korea youth contender posts.
fairness in a way, but now, nobody knows who all these players are from (waiting for them to put in the country abbv)

1715877475170.png

of the 8 names from Taiwan (all U15, U17, U19), I know 7 of them in person.
Hung Jing-Kai was the one playing against the chopper I recorded last year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Come on, without flame wars, moderators wouldn't have jobs! But seriously, I understand what Tony means as a very active and sometimes contentious poster. One reason I would cut Tony huge slack is that he is not doing it anonymously and that raises his difficulty bar significantly. Being active and public does require a certain kind of personality so it isn't easy and such personalities being sometimes contentious is just life. The internet remembers things you said or did. Personal associations can be found and your reputation brought into question by even the most innocent actions. Or even notorious actions that most people would never notice if you weren't someone they just happened to know on the internet. It's a cost benefit thing, but based on my experiences, nothing Tony is doing or experiencing is special, but of course, we all respond to moderation a little differently.
Yea personally I don't have an issue with what Tony says, even if I disagree with some of it. It's just I think too many threads lately are being sidetracked, like this one right now.

Also, I want to say that I really appreciate you and @UpSideDownCarl's work as voluntary moderators. Moderation is as you said oftentimes a thankless job, and in my experience it tends to lead one to catching crap from both sides. I think it's important to remember that mods on our boards are TT enthusiasts like the rest of us and not professional judges. I think we can all cut you old farts some slack as well. ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
honestly,
I thought it was Dan, as it wasn't Carl's style to act like that
I just am too busy; I saw something and I did something I thought was as fair as possible in the short time I had.

Tony. Let’s take the rest of this in a PM so we are not disrupting the forum. I will answer when I can.

Just PM me.

As far as I know, there isn’t anyone moderating the forum for the most part. If something is done — spam removal, removing new SJan sock puppets, etc — as far as I know, that is only happening if I look. But I have less and less time.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I am thinking after remembering recent post yesterday - to boost Hurricane or not??

Its a vicious cycle. You get the first taste of sticky rubbers after using nonsticky and you are (no pun intended) hooked.

You try hybrids but there is just something about them that doesnt quite work out. Sometimes they don't last quite as long as you want, some are a bit too soft or a bit too Euro, too expensive etc. you think to yourself, what the heck I'll give Hurricane a shot.

You stick an unboosted Hurricane on and it takes a bit to acclimate to the hard and sticky characteristics, but now you're feeling good, you're landing all your shots with incredible spin and power, and all you need to do is hit hard to overcome the slow speed. You're hitting hard... all the time. Your shoulder starts to feel some way after you play, it doesn't go away. You start to notice in the mirror that your racket arm is starting to grow larger than your non dominant arm, and you get spooked. "What harm would it do to just, try a little bit of boost? Everyone does it"

A month later your bottle of secret magic juice arrives and you gingerly massage it into your beloved yet at the same time estranged Hurricane. You feel something start to awaken in your body as you check the doming. One layer, well how about another cuz we're already this far. You finally mount it on your base blade surface and the sight of the topsheet under tension is a sight to behold... But when you hit with it, everything is different. Its softer, your shots are going out, you have ascended into the next level of Tacky Nirvana but at what cost? You've made it this far so you keep playing and eventually the boost milds out and you are playing out of your mind... but then one day the boost is gone. The rush has died. You boost it again and sooner now the sensational pop has disappeared, eager to chase the feeling you buy another Hurricane, this one harder, you put more boost on.

Months down the road you are left with a pile of Hurricanes. You have to reboost and change your rubber every 2 months because you are boosting every week. Every day the sensation feels a little weaker, a little worse. You wonder where you went wrong. Hybrids don't scratch the same itch and a thought crosses your mind- well what if I went back to Fastarc? Fastarc is easy to play and I don't need to boost it...

And the cycle continues.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Its a vicious cycle. You get the first taste of sticky rubbers after using nonsticky and you are (no pun intended) hooked.

You try hybrids but there is just something about them that doesnt quite work out. Sometimes they don't last quite as long as you want, some are a bit too soft or a bit too Euro, too expensive etc. you think to yourself, what the heck I'll give Hurricane a shot.

You stick an unboosted Hurricane on and it takes a bit to acclimate to the hard and sticky characteristics, but now you're feeling good, you're landing all your shots with incredible spin and power, and all you need to do is hit hard to overcome the slow speed. You're hitting hard... all the time. Your shoulder starts to feel some way after you play, it doesn't go away. You start to notice in the mirror that your racket arm is starting to grow larger than your non dominant arm, and you get spooked. "What harm would it do to just, try a little bit of boost? Everyone does it"

A month later your bottle of secret magic juice arrives and you gingerly massage it into your beloved yet at the same time estranged Hurricane. You feel something start to awaken in your body as you check the doming. One layer, well how about another cuz we're already this far. You finally mount it on your base blade surface and the sight of the topsheet under tension is a sight to behold... But when you hit with it, everything is different. Its softer, your shots are going out, you have ascended into the next level of Tacky Nirvana but at what cost? You've made it this far so you keep playing and eventually the boost milds out and you are playing out of your mind... but then one day the boost is gone. The rush has died. You boost it again and sooner now the sensational pop has disappeared, eager to chase the feeling you buy another Hurricane, this one harder, you put more boost on.

Months down the road you are left with a pile of Hurricanes. You have to reboost and change your rubber every 2 months because you are boosting every week. Every day the sensation feels a little weaker, a little worse. You wonder where you went wrong. Hybrids don't scratch the same itch and a thought crosses your mind- well what if I went back to Fastarc? Fastarc is easy to play and I don't need to boost it...

And the cycle continues.
I was happy until I listened to dingyibvs, latej and you. I will cut off my ears and go back to being happy again :ROFLMAO:.

More seriously, Golden Tango did scratch my itch and I suspect I might try some of those Gewo rubbers that are along the same lines. But right now, I will just stick with Hurricane, and then let my wife enjoy the 50% Popeye 50% scarecrow man looking back at her!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was happy until I listened to dingyibvs, latej and you. I will cut off my ears and go back to being happy again :ROFLMAO:.

More seriously, Golden Tango did scratch my itch and I suspect I might try some of those Gewo rubbers that are along the same lines. But right now, I will just stick with Hurricane, and then let my wife enjoy the 50% Popeye 50% scarecrow man looking back at her!
Oh, I did try Skyline2 on the MJ SZLC - the problem is that I didn't have a chance to play singles with it. I have a tournament this weekend, but I will be playing with my standard setups, will be interesting to see how that goes...

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I actually find my heavily boosted H3 a bit too fast. I really just wanted the gears and the softening, so I'm fine with the boost wearing away. Hopefully it happens slowly enough for me to adjust.

Reactions: kindof99
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021

And the cycle continues.
Pure poetry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I played with 4 different set ups today.

Setup 1: MJ SZLC with Skyline 2 commercial both sides.
Setup 2: CC with H3 40 Degrees provincial both sides.
Setup 3: BSS1 with Tronix ZGR both sides.
Setup 4: Mazunov with H3 hard commercial both sides.

Played one of my usual training partners over many sets. Wr played at a new badminton club in the area that had a TT section, the problem was that my training partner is an away from the table player and the TT space was limited so it definitely took about 100 to 200 points off his game. But it was a lot of fun to see what shots I could do with all the setups and what shots I couldn't do. But I could definitely play at a decent level with all of the setups. But to be fair, this was against an opponent I knew, would be interesting to see what would happen against someone I didn't know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Read 1 reviews
The local TT online store recently got their hands onto some of the pro-tier Hurricanes and I have been super tempted by them... thankfully someone else's been getting them over time, so the temptation is no longer there, with the only remaining one being the WCQ 41.5d FH one. I need to stop browsing it and go back to adding to my savings - I think I've EJ'd enough for now!😅 A car would really help with convenient travels, and I've heard from my dad that there is a TT club doing practice the next town over. Might have to see if I can schedule some lessons there if I can squeeze in the time after work.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I verify that Carl has a lot of stuff going on in his world... and that he serves as Admin pretty much and purely out of love for TT and to expand TT... not that Carl needs anyone to verify anything.

It would be so good just to drop in and be trouble making, but the local world and his situation there are not so simple.

It is an injustice to Carl for him feel a little compelled to continue to serve as Admin until someone can really do it so he would want to apply more energy to the other areas of his world that need it more

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I verify that Carl has a lot of stuff going on in his world... and that he serves as Admin pretty much and purely out of love for TT and to expand TT... not that Carl needs anyone to verify anything.

It would be so good just to drop in and be trouble making, but the local world and his situation there are not so simple.

It is an injustice to Carl for him feel a little compelled to continue to serve as Admin until someone can really do it so he would want to apply more energy to the other areas of his world that need it more
whose duty?
owner or members?

says Accelerate your Progress
says Accelerate your Progress
Feb 2023
After more than 9 months, i finally managed to play well at a tournament and solve enough Problems so that I could actually play as well as I think I am capable of.

Long Story short:
Every Single tournament over the last year has gone terribly for me, with a few exception, and I just couldnt manage my performance and had severe Issues with my Gameplay every time.

At one point in time, I planned on quitting tournaments completely and only play league matches.

It Was very very frustrating, but I kept working on it.

And I think I got it now.

One of my many major Issues Was being genuinely "fearful" and getting into a state of extreme fight or flight Response that led to me freezing and playing like an amateur.

Not just "nerves", something deeper and more impactful, which once it kicked in, it didnt let me move or think clearly and was impossible to calm it down and get under control.

After deeply going through many strings of thoughts, writing them out and asking some questions to Googles AI last night, I found the last missing pieces.

Sort of like a self-therapy Session in which I could see and understand things better and more clearly.

Today I felt and played like a changed man and never had any significant doubts about myself.

I managed to beat 2 players 3-1, Both of which were higher rated than me.
I was confident, could focus, move and hit most of my shots.

My other 2 opponent were also higher rated than me, I lost both of them 1-3 putting up a good fight.

TLDR: I can perform now!

I hope for anyone that has similar Issues, to be able to solve them.
I would gladly help whereever I can.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I went to a club in Austin about 2.5 hrs from where I live to play a tournament. I got to town on Friday night but turns out the club closes early on Friday the night before an event so I couldn't play any matches or get good practice.

Went in this morning but was too late to get good practice. But it was a giant RR of sorts but with a twist from what I expected. First, morning groups of 4 to put people into events and then the events arrive round robin followed by knockout. So if you win your group, you play the A event, second plays the B and so on.

So I played the first match against an 1100 rated young lady, very athletic, but lacking the consistency and the quality to change the result. Then I played an unrated guy who had come In to play. Again, the gap was too large to make a difference. Finally I get to play a 1550 lefty lady. And this is when things started going South. She had a good backhand sidespin serve that looked like backspin, but which I popped up or looped long on serve return. Lost the first game and was in a dog fight. Led for most of the second game and then lost it at deuce. By this time certain things had been established: the butterfly R40+ plays differently enough from Nittaku Premium that you need to prepare to use it or you can get into trouble. The ball also traveled a bit differently. And that I was going to struggle to use power because of the above variables. My opponent eas pretty passive but consistent with her backhand so the plan was to attack the backhand and win or lose doing that since she never opened.

Unfortunately I wasn't consistent enough to make it work. I did win the third game, but I lost a few points going all out attack into the backhand which she blocked into the empty table for a winner in the 4th. That and missing lots of opening loops long coat me the match at deuce in the 4th. So I was going to be playing the event that she would have been seeded into (the B event) while she took my place in the A event. And of course, I was donating rating points (not a bad thing, I am tired of fighting all these underrated Texans lol).

So I was now the highest rated player in the B event, but the third seed in my group as she would have been had I beaten her. And I no longer had any matches that would give me rating points every match was now a battle to just avoid losing lol. That said, I am sure many of my opponents were not too happy to be playing a guy looping vicious topspins off both sides at them. I switched to a slower all wood blade because I wanted to avoid making consistency an issue because speed is not at a premium when beating 1600‐1800 players relative to my experience.

I played 3 young boys in the round robin stage, winning 3-1 against the A player, and 3-0 against the B and D players. Thr other players all beat each other for a 3 way tie which was funny (lots of weeping as they couldn't believe they were losing to their opponents). The one good thing I need tonwork on which I got some work on playing the kids was movement - I was not going to beat these kids just by not moving because they refused to just block my balls long lol.

In the quarter finals, I got another 1600 player. Because I played the 1200‐1800 ranks extensively when I was learning club TT in the early 2010s, it is sometimes fun for me to see the diverse styles at that level and how much fun it is to see how people build their weapons. The opponent had an interesting style where he would serve and hoped he got a popup to his backhand and he was very consistent at smashing and driving loop underspin balls especially on the backhand. And when he got a loop or push into the deep forehand, he would take advantage much time as he could to take the ball late and add sidespin to it. I lost game 1 playing like a headless chicken. But my experience playing at and against those levels came back to me because the dominant theme at those levels is that you kill yourself playing too fast because your advantage in speed should be used to process the play and stay consistent, not to jump on the ball early and make mistakes. So I managed to start returning serves and getting into rallies, sending him wide and then putting the ball to the backhand, and sometimes retrieving and running down multiple shots to win the point.

The semis were supposed to be against an unrated player who had beaten a buddy of mine, but the man had to go and defaulted. My buddy would like to believe the man didn't see the point in playing me and losing which was a bummer he had won a lot of matches pushing the balm and I really wanted to see whether his pushing was a sign if top notch defensive and counter skills or just bad opponents who can't loop pushes consistently.

For the final, I got to play a young kid I had played in Dallas. Then I beat him 3-0. Today, I won the first two games fairly easily, and then all of a sudden, me being the stupid idiot who told his father after the last match that he needed to come to my middle a bit more, started getting lots of serves and pushes and returns to the middle of the table. I lost game 3 and went up early in game4. But the I'd came back to tie it and I alternated good points and misses. And I got him to blocknthe ball long at 9‐10 on his serve and yes, i have stolen candy from the kids.

I checked the event prospectus and the money for 1st place in the B group was as much as the money for 4th place in the A group (and no way I was going to get 4th place in group A). So am I supposed to feel good about winning the B group and the cash or feel bad about not making the A group, trying to get revenge on some foes and dumping 50 rating points to an opponent that played well? I tried my best and that is what counts lol.

Back to training next week!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I went to a club in Austin about 2.5 hrs from where I live to play a tournament. I got to town on Friday night but turns out the club closes early on Friday the night before an event so I couldn't play any matches or get good practice.

Went in this morning but was too late to get good practice. But it was a giant RR of sorts but with a twist from what I expected. First, morning groups of 4 to put people into events and then the events arrive round robin followed by knockout. So if you win your group, you play the A event, second plays the B and so on.

So I played the first match against an 1100 rated young lady, very athletic, but lacking the consistency and the quality to change the result. Then I played an unrated guy who had come In to play. Again, the gap was too large to make a difference. Finally I get to play a 1550 lefty lady. And this is when things started going South. She had a good backhand sidespin serve that looked like backspin, but which I popped up or looped long on serve return. Lost the first game and was in a dog fight. Led for most of the second game and then lost it at deuce. By this time certain things had been established: the butterfly R40+ plays differently enough from Nittaku Premium that you need to prepare to use it or you can get into trouble. The ball also traveled a bit differently. And that I was going to struggle to use power because of the above variables. My opponent eas pretty passive but consistent with her backhand so the plan was to attack the backhand and win or lose doing that since she never opened.

Unfortunately I wasn't consistent enough to make it work. I did win the third game, but I lost a few points going all out attack into the backhand which she blocked into the empty table for a winner in the 4th. That and missing lots of opening loops long coat me the match at deuce in the 4th. So I was going to be playing the event that she would have been seeded into (the B event) while she took my place in the A event. And of course, I was donating rating points (not a bad thing, I am tired of fighting all these underrated Texans lol).

So I was now the highest rated player in the B event, but the third seed in my group as she would have been had I beaten her. And I no longer had any matches that would give me rating points every match was now a battle to just avoid losing lol. That said, I am sure many of my opponents were not too happy to be playing a guy looping vicious topspins off both sides at them. I switched to a slower all wood blade because I wanted to avoid making consistency an issue because speed is not at a premium when beating 1600‐1800 players relative to my experience.

I played 3 young boys in the round robin stage, winning 3-1 against the A player, and 3-0 against the B and D players. Thr other players all beat each other for a 3 way tie which was funny (lots of weeping as they couldn't believe they were losing to their opponents). The one good thing I need tonwork on which I got some work on playing the kids was movement - I was not going to beat these kids just by not moving because they refused to just block my balls long lol.

In the quarter finals, I got another 1600 player. Because I played the 1200‐1800 ranks extensively when I was learning club TT in the early 2010s, it is sometimes fun for me to see the diverse styles at that level and how much fun it is to see how people build their weapons. The opponent had an interesting style where he would serve and hoped he got a popup to his backhand and he was very consistent at smashing and driving loop underspin balls especially on the backhand. And when he got a loop or push into the deep forehand, he would take advantage much time as he could to take the ball late and add sidespin to it. I lost game 1 playing like a headless chicken. But my experience playing at and against those levels came back to me because the dominant theme at those levels is that you kill yourself playing too fast because your advantage in speed should be used to process the play and stay consistent, not to jump on the ball early and make mistakes. So I managed to start returning serves and getting into rallies, sending him wide and then putting the ball to the backhand, and sometimes retrieving and running down multiple shots to win the point.

The semis were supposed to be against an unrated player who had beaten a buddy of mine, but the man had to go and defaulted. My buddy would like to believe the man didn't see the point in playing me and losing which was a bummer he had won a lot of matches pushing the balm and I really wanted to see whether his pushing was a sign if top notch defensive and counter skills or just bad opponents who can't loop pushes consistently.

For the final, I got to play a young kid I had played in Dallas. Then I beat him 3-0. Today, I won the first two games fairly easily, and then all of a sudden, me being the stupid idiot who told his father after the last match that he needed to come to my middle a bit more, started getting lots of serves and pushes and returns to the middle of the table. I lost game 3 and went up early in game4. But the I'd came back to tie it and I alternated good points and misses. And I got him to blocknthe ball long at 9‐10 on his serve and yes, i have stolen candy from the kids.

I checked the event prospectus and the money for 1st place in the B group was as much as the money for 4th place in the A group (and no way I was going to get 4th place in group A). So am I supposed to feel good about winning the B group and the cash or feel bad about not making the A group, trying to get revenge on some foes and dumping 50 rating points to an opponent that played well? I tried my best and that is what counts lol.

Back to training next week!
I'm glad you mentioned the balls cause Austin and Houston both use those and I was definitely not prepared.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm glad you mentioned the balls cause Austin and Houston both use those and I was definitely not prepared.
The guy who won the A Event mentioned it as part of the reason he went down 0-2 before coming back. So no, it isn't in anyone's head, we all need to read the entry form and see what the tournament balls are and use them to practice when we intend to play.