Yinhe Big Dipper 38 deg for BH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Pretty much the topic. I'd like to know what your experience is with switching from tensors to something like the Big Dipper or Jupiter 3, since the costs of ESN rubbers are going higher and higher, so im starting to look for a well priced alternative. For context, im using the Rakza 7 on the BH of my OSP Virtuoso+ blade. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sims33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Compared to Mantra M, it's less bouncy even after you boost it. The rubber grips the ball well but the characteristic is different than Rakza 7. Very different.
Yeah, I suppose so. So you think the grip is comparable? Because Ive recently put together a bat for a friend with palio ak47 rubber, and noticed that the grip on the surface is somewhat lacking, thus limiting spin capabilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Yeah, I suppose so. So you think the grip is comparable? Because Ive recently put together a bat for a friend with palio ak47 rubber, and noticed that the grip on the surface is somewhat lacking, thus limiting spin capabilities.
Big Dipper is tacky and grippy so you have nothing to be worried about, it's nothing like AK47. I don't think you can use it as well as your Rakza 7 unless you slightly change your technique.
Rather than Big Dipper, try Moon 12 Medium hard and boost it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Recently I played a bit with BD H38 on my Viscaria, and in compare with the Vega X on the Vodak Horejsi ALC, the BD feels a bit harder (both the top-sheet and the sponge), and definitely also slower (even though on Viscaria). Grip is OK, but due to the harder feeling I don't prefer it for opening BH loops, and due to slowness also not for exchanges... I know BD is rel. popular, for me it's playable but I prefer a bit softer feeling rubber on the BH, and faster.

But you appear to be already decided ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Could you be more specific? How bouncy is it in comparison to tensors like R7? Has the switch been difficult? How's the grip?

Take a look here I wrote some reviews about it.

Grip is very high. Unboosted, it is less bouncy than R7. Boosted, it is at least equally bouncy as R7 but probably speedier. But with even moderate punch and hit through, the power surpasses R7.

R7 has more automatic catapult, but BD carries the power up better as you activate your own stroke.

Reactions: Brozi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Big Dipper is tacky and grippy so you have nothing to be worried about, it's nothing like AK47. I don't think you can use it as well as your Rakza 7 unless you slightly change your technique.
Rather than Big Dipper, try Moon 12 Medium hard and boost it.
plus one for
Yinhe moon 12 blue
This is a fine alternative to tensors, it's more linear, not as fast, but IMO much better than palio ak47

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Recently I played a bit with BD H38 on my Viscaria, and in compare with the Vega X on the Vodak Horejsi ALC, the BD feels a bit harder (both the top-sheet and the sponge), and definitely also slower (even though on Viscaria). Grip is OK, but due to the harder feeling I don't prefer it for opening BH loops, and due to slowness also not for exchanges... I know BD is rel. popular, for me it's playable but I prefer a bit softer feeling rubber on the BH, and faster.

But you appear to be already decided ;-)
Not really, Im unsure if the qualities of BD will match well with my backhand stroke, hence the question, but I guess im gonna have to give it a go one way or another..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Not really, Im unsure if the qualities of BD will match well with my backhand stroke, hence the question, but I guess im gonna have to give it a go one way or another..

Yes, I did the same some time ago... It's true that we can get BD for 15E on Ali, but I rather pay 2x that for rubber that suits me. It was thrown away money for me ;-)

As Michael (TensorBackhand) says, it will be more powerful than say R7 on the FH, when you hit harder. On the other hand H38 is too soft for the FH for me. See, useless for me... But not for someone else, everything is personal...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
For me the Big Dipper has the right amount of tacky for the backhand, it's just slightly sticky. I try to play close to the table and I think that at this distance the speed of the BD is enough. What I like most about the Big Dipper is the control in the backhand exchanges in the close to the table rally (drivers and counter drivers). What I don't like about BD is that attacking out of position is much more difficult than with a tensor rubber

Reactions: mocker88 and Brozi