Is any current top player better than prime Ma Long (2015-2017)?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
That's one perspective - the other perspective is that if something shortens your career even if it gives you a high peak, maybe it is better to do something sustainable that may lengthen it, if it provides a lower peak. But when what causes the lower peak is not entirely in your control like the change of the ball, it remains an open question. As for scaling the wall, we can only scale what is in front of us, and father time remains undefeated.
ML winning here is not unlike Samsonov, who won his 3rd World Cup in 2009 at 33 after beating ML (3-4 Oh Sangeun in the Grp) and CQ. It still didn't change the fact that he didn't get past Waldner (3-0 and 3-2 Samsonov at WTTC 1997 and Sydney 2000, respectively) until the latter was already on the way out at WTTC 2005 (29 vs 40). Was Waldner not in front of Samsonov, the same way that Samsonov was in front of ML and CQ or even that Oh Sangeun was in front of ML?

The problem with that kind of longevity is that they (with more experience) compete against players from a later generation (still developing), which is what FZD meant when he said ML was the greatest of this era but that he and ML were not from the same era and that he had just hit the road.

Harimoto also touched on the experience gap between ML and FZD at WTTC 2017, as well as between himself and LJK at WTTC 2023 and that's perhaps why FZD and he didn't win.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
When did a one-off double win become the criteria to determine that Hari has surpassed Fan and Wang. The standard is to beat them at the big events, and win the big trophies, that was what Harimoto himself was referring to.
Not surpass, but get past as I've always stressed. Waldner got past Jiang Jialiang in MT of WTTC 1989. The H2H was like 4-8 with Waldner trailing.

ZJK got past ML at World Cup 2014, their first encounter in the major, despite ZJK trailing in H2H. ML said both of them wanted it as it marked a new era with the new ball and so on (post #6 or page 5 of the transcript).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ML winning here is not unlike Samsonov, who won his 3rd World Cup at 33 in 2009 after beating ML (3-4 Oh Sangeun in the Grp) and CQ. It still didn't change the fact that he didn't get past Waldner (3-2 Samsonov at Sydney 2000) until the latter was already on the way out at WTTC 2005 (26 vs 40). Was Waldner not in front of Samsonov, the same way that Samsonov was in front of ML and CQ or even that Oh Sangeun was in front of ML?

The problem with that kind of longevity is that they (with more experience) compete against players from a later generation (still developing), which is what FZD meant when he said ML was the greatest of this era but that he and ML were not from the same era and that he had just hit the road.

Harimoto also touched on the experience gap between ML and FZD at WTTC 2017, as well as between himself and LJK at WTTC 2023 and that's perhaps why FZD and he didn't win.

When you become stronger than your father, is it because he got older or you got older or somewhere in between? Who controls that timeline and narrative? That is why father time is undefeated.

People just want to beat their opponents. I understand and accept the narrative as a way of showing how somewhat rare, prodigious and impressive something like what ZJK did might be in some context, and it makes more sense as a story in the context of a generational national team. These are all narratives with some merit but with their limitations as well. Was Samsonov thinking about Waldner as his primary rival in a meaningful sense? Maybe there is evidence of this, but I don't know or see it. We still have someone like Stellan Bengston who on his title at a young age - what was he overthrowing? In the context of a national team, was it more impressive that Zhang Jike beat Wang Hao or that Wang Hao was still playing at a high level in 2013? The same with Ma Long - does he get more credit for being able to play at 31, or does the generation behind him get more blame for being unable to defeat him at 31?

When ML beats ZJK, is he beating someone from his era or just the player in front of him? And when Kong Ling Hui beats Waldner, is he beating someone from a prior era or just someone in front of him? Did Wang Hao really beat someone from his era or the previous era when he beat Wang Liqin in the WTTC in 20009 final? Does ZJK's lack of longevity count for or against him?

You probably have a strict and consistent answer, that one must overthrow the prior generation. But when Wang Liqin or Ryu are beating Waldner in 2004, are they really overthrowing the prior generation? And when Boll loses to Waldner, is he losing because he could not, or just because on that particular day, for whatever reason, he failed to beat the opponent in front of him?

As great as the narratives are, I understand why they put ZJK's achievement in 2011 and maybe 2012 in a certain light. But as arguments against Ma Long being a GOAT, I am not convinced. After all, Ma Long on some level did precisely what WH failed to do - does he get credit for that or does Wang Hao get knocked for that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not surpass, but get past as I've always stressed. Waldner got past Jiang Jialiang in MT of WTTC 1989. The H2H was like 4-8 with Waldner trailing.

ZJK got past ML at World Cup 2014, their first encounter in the major, despite ZJK trailing in H2H. ML said both of them wanted it as it marked a new era with the new ball and so on (post #6 or page 5 of the transcript).
So how to look at ML vs ZJK at Olympics in 2016 and WTTC in 2015? ML got past his nemesis who was over the hill?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He can't even beat the Chinese number 5 these days. That double win looking more like something that may never happen again.
IT is easy to forget that Harimoto is 20. I know that it might not make a difference to how you view things, but this is very easy to forget. Especially in a World where Ma Long got to his top level in success around the age of 27.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
He can't even beat the Chinese number 5 these days. That double win looking more like something that may never happen again.
You only look at data from the past 3 years, but you refuse to focus on the single performance of his double win in 2022. Clearly you are just a troll!

Also you need to remember that Harimoto is changing his style so you should expect him to lose some matches as he makes this transition.

Jan 2018
In 1/2023, FZD looked back on 2022 and said the match against Harimoto at WTTC was the most memorable. It's arguably more impressive than what FZD did at WTTC 2024. As I mentioned, if Harimoto had a true teammate like Hayata or Hirano at WTTC 2024 back at WTTC 2022, he would likely have become a World Champion. Also, keep in mind Harimoto 2-1 FZD at XTWC 2023, which is not counted as a win or loss but still worth mentioning as the only match FZD was behind in game score.

https://web.archive.org/web/2024012...d-of-the-harimoto-dream_topic91046_page5.html (01/30/2023 at 4:00am)
Catching up.

Magazine Table Tennis World published an article on 1/18 in which various players were asked to look back on 2022.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Lirw3iavMV079zuhaXwzDA
https://www.douban.com/group/topic/281811010
2022年打得最难忘的一场比赛?
raTTpCv.png

樊振东:世乒赛对张本的那场,他在场上表现出很多好的东西,其实是自己欣赏也值得学习的。
The most memorable match played in 2022?
FZD: The one against Harimoto at WTTC. He showed a lot of good things on the court, which in fact, is what I admire and worth learning from.

Reactions: Choosikick
Jan 2018
Harimoto and perhaps LYJ.

WCQ has lost too much in team event (not like he is much better than FZD in MS) and would likely have lost way more if he doesn't hide his serve.
A parody video by a user of Bilibili/Tieba on WCQ's epic fail at World Cup 2024.

我本来想这次世界杯一战夺冠,但后来放弃了 (I was planning to win this World Cup on the first try, but gave up subsequently)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1rZ421J7W6
这次世界杯我打算一战夺冠 (I plan to win this World Cup on the first try)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8999981791

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
There are some heavy hitters among these youngsters like Xiang Peng and Lin Shidong. Tho many of them have a physically weaker forehand like Yuan Licen, but there’s one thing in common: they all generate power from their legs and hip rotation and unsurprisingly none of them have shoulder injuries (though they’re young but ZJK was relatively young as well when his injuries started to appear). On the other hand, I don’t necessarily think the new ball caused injuries to him but I see why others think so because you unarguably need more power for it and Zhang Jike generated more power from his upper arms unlike his teammates so it probably did contribute to his later injuries but his forehand was always like that, he didn’t change it for the new ball. That’s why I also think that Ma Long was better with the new ball, his technique was just more suited for it and at the time his backhand to forehand transition was faster and didn’t have his wide forehand weakness making his new style of backhand suitable for his game.
Ma Long was dominating everyone else even in the celluloid era. He came short against WH possibly due to nerves and nothing to do with his technique.
In the plastic ball era, he was still dominating everyone. Only difference is he has got that nerves issue solved.
To say that he's build for plastic ball doesn't make sense to me.
Aside from Ma Long, who did ZJK lose against in the plastic era?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
It's in the transcript. I'm not obligated to translate everything to make my point, and in this case, ML's point.
Well, I don't know mandarin or Chinese beyond Xie Xie and wo ai ni. So expecting me to understand what ML was talking about is impossible. The only thing I can read is your summary about the interview. Would be nice if you put it up in your summary tho. Thank you for the consideration, sir

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I see nothing about equipment or technique from your summary. The way you phrase it more like him and his weak mentality when it matters.
It's not easy to track things anymore since mytt lost a lot of its posts with a hacker attack on its main forum. But Ma Long did change equipment in late 2014 and revised his backhand grip and technique, partly in response to the plastic ball and prior results. Such details are easy to miss if you just focus on his W-L record.

Reactions: Robin0910
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
It's not easy to track things anymore since mytt lost a lot of its posts with a hacker attack on its main forum. But Ma Long did change equipment in late 2014 and revised his backhand grip and technique, partly in response to the plastic ball and prior results. Such details are easy to miss if you just focus on his W-L record.
I see. Honestly, I don't really see that big of difference in his technique and I thought he was already using HL5 in 2014 or at least something similar to it.
Thank you for the info, sir.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I see. Honestly, I don't really see that big of difference in his technique and I thought he was already using HL5 in 2014 or at least something similar to it.
Thank you for the info, sir.
I believe it was more the use of softer sponge Hurricane in backhand as well as some grip modifications. But he clearly had issues rallying with WH backhand to backhand and I am still of the view that the ball changes made backhand blocks and counters easier to play.

says Formely known as gordonluvsu.
says Formely known as gordonluvsu.
Feb 2023
Ma Longs play style worked very Well as a counter to the modern backhand attacking style.
He could force most right Hand attackers into his game, including his passively aggressive backhand, that was nearly impenetrable.
Flipping serves would lead to backhand-backhand exchanges which he would win 80% of the time or ML would prepare to counter loop with his FH, in Either case the receiver didnt gain a big advantage by attacking the Serve Over the table.

Switching Form Tenergy to soft H3 enabled him to do that more easily.

This is an Over-simplification of the matter, but it explain some things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ma Longs play style worked very Well as a counter to the modern backhand attacking style.
He could force most right Hand attackers into his game, including his passively aggressive backhand, that was nearly impenetrable.
Flipping serves would lead to backhand-backhand exchanges which he would win 80% of the time or ML would prepare to counter loop with his FH, in Either case the receiver didnt gain a big advantage by attacking the Serve Over the table.

Switching Form Tenergy to soft H3 enabled him to do that more easily.

This is an Over-simplification of the matter, but it explain some things.
Passive is the last thing you want your backhand to be vs Wang Hao. Especially with that old ball that you could spin the heck out of.